Author Topic: Meeting House Row and Stockwood Street, BATTERSEA 1871  (Read 2757 times)

Offline snowfrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meeting House Row and Stockwood Street, BATTERSEA 1871
« on: Sunday 08 February 15 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
Am wondering if anyone can help with the location in 1871 - and their present day equivalent - of a couple of streets in Battersea, Surrey.

* The first would be MEETING HOUSE ROW, which may have only been called that for the one census in 1871. It may have been near the Battersea Baptist Chapel, also Lombard Road and Yelverton Road.

*The other is STOCKWOOD STREET. I've found references to this street up to the 1960s, but can't find it on a map.

I was wondering how close these two streets would have been to each other.

Thanks so much,

Snowfrog.   :)
Boness - Scotland, McIlrevie/Revie - Scotland, Cassel/Cassell/Casel/Castle - Buckinghamshire, Parfitt - Somerset, Pitt - Gloucestershire, Mcneice/Mcnice - Antrim, Ireland, Mcelreavey - Coleraine, Ireland,

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting House Row and Stockwood Street, BATTERSEA 1871
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 February 15 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Stockwood Street can be seen here:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.46505&lon=-0.17792&layers=163

It was off Plough Road and on a modern map I would put it roughly where Benham Close is now.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 February 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Quoting from an Open University document:

Industry Row and Meeting House Row (15 houses) were built c 1805 on 0.4 acres at the corner of York and Lombard Roads by Ezekiel Pennington, a carpenter who later became parish clerk of Battersea.
He died childless, and his brother Joseph held an interest in the houses, being enfranchised in 1844 by Earl Spencer for £150. By 1858 they were owned by Martha, widow of Thomas Steadman, a Clerk in the Lunacy Office, who sold them for £730 to Joseph Quick, a Lewisham engineer.
He sold them in February 1859 to Henry Abel, a City rag merchant for £650.
They were demolished in the late 1860's and replaced by Lombard Market.

Lombard Road and York Road still exist!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline snowfrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 February 15 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Mo and KGarrad,
Wow, thank you both so much. This helps me enormously.

Mo - I love the NLS site you directed me too. Fantastic to see the old map overlay the current. I have Scottish relatives too, so I shall have to go a hunting.

KGarrad - I think I may have come across this document while looking, but didn't take the time to go through it, so thanks.

Emma.

Boness - Scotland, McIlrevie/Revie - Scotland, Cassel/Cassell/Casel/Castle - Buckinghamshire, Parfitt - Somerset, Pitt - Gloucestershire, Mcneice/Mcnice - Antrim, Ireland, Mcelreavey - Coleraine, Ireland,