Author Topic: Mary Taylor of Stockport - missing from 1911 census? COMPLETED MANY THANKS  (Read 2087 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
I've been trying to locate the census record for MARY TAYLOR in the 1911 census, without success. I know that Mary Taylor was born Dec Q 1840 in Stockport and that she was living in Stockport in 1911, a widow. Living with her was her daughter, also Mary Taylor (born 1880). In the 1901 census they lived at 78 Booth Street. If anyone has time and patience to be the proverbial 'extra pair of eyes' I'd be grateful. I've already tried the obvious permutations of 'Taylor', attempting to anticipate any transcription errors or dodgy handwriting (in an earlier census I found the family name transcribed as 'Saylor'!)

I wonder if the moderator considers this should go in the Look-up Requests forum?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Taylor of Stockport - missing from 1911 census?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean that you know they were on the census in 1911 but you just can't find them?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
(in an earlier census I found the family name transcribed as 'Saylor'!)

Try 'Faylor'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I'm assuming that they would have been included in the census. The elder Mary died in 1924, and the younger Mary married in 1912 - both events in Stockport. From what I know of the family I'm almost certain that they never lived anywhere but Stockport.  As to occupation, it is possible that the elder Mary described herself as a confectioner. The younger Mary worked in a cotton mill I think. I suppose in such a large undertaking as a census some records must have been lost or missed. I certainly can't find this family in the 1911 census

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:12 GMT (UK) »
1911 census information removed.

1911 census requests and look-ups are still not permitted on Rootschat.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I'm assuming that they would have been included in the census. The elder Mary died in 1924, and the younger Mary married in 1912 - both events in Stockport. From what I know of the family I'm almost certain that they never lived anywhere but Stockport.  As to occupation, it is possible that the elder Mary described herself as a confectioner. The younger Mary worked in a cotton mill I think. I suppose in such a large undertaking as a census some records must have been lost or missed. I certainly can't find this family in the 1911 census

Read my reply #2
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! 'Faylor' it is. Many thanks indeed - now mySunday has not been in vain.
Best wishes

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 February 15 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Grateful thanks to those who replied so promptly and managed to solve my difficulty.