Author Topic: Marrying your dead wife's sister  (Read 15205 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Marrying your dead wife's sister
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 February 15 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone - seems this was a bit of a hot topic in Victorian times.

.... and a third married after banns in their home village parish where they had lived all their lives. These were all in the mid 1850's.

Jebber

That's what I was afraid of Jebber I could see this happening in larger towns but in places where everyone knew you business, I thought it would be picked up by the minister and they'd get a proper telling off.

Jen
Monica - I'm on a mission complete by next weekend then pass to relatives for comment - wish I'd worked this hard at school ::)
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 February 15 18:19 GMT (UK) »
The forbidden degrees of marriage in Scotland between 1567 and 1986 were those contained within Leviticus Chapter 18, based upon the translation in the Geneva Bible of 1562. The bulk of the prohibited degrees covered ascendants and descendants, including aunts

Verse 16 provided "Thou shalt not discover the shame of thy brothers wife: (for) it is thy
brothers shame" Thus, if your brother died you could not marry his widow. However, that did not preclude you marrying your wife's sister, until 1917 when the High Court ruled in H M Advocate v Aikman and Martin 1917 J.C. 8 that that where a relationship between a man and woman is expressed, the corresponding relationship between a woman and a man is implied.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 February 15 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Redroger, 3 sisters, goodness...regardless of the period!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 February 15 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, When I noticed that his wife seemed to have got younger i asked an acquaintance who lived nearer than I did, and got the full detail.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 February 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »
If my sister in law is reading this, can I assure her that, in the event of my wife dying first, she can forget it!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 February 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »
The problem with Scottish law on the subject is the Marriage Acts allowed such a union as they were updated but the Incest Act 1567 prohibited it.
Leaving a very dubious situation from 1567 until 1977

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 February 15 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Interesting subject.  Did it also work the other way?  A widow marrying her dead husband's brother?  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 February 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
In the Scottish fishing villages it was common to marry relatives. I had a great-uncle who was married 3 times, and all his wives were related to him, the 2nd and 3rd ones being sisters (and his 2nd cousins). I was told that when his 2nd wife, Annie, died, her sister Lizzie came along from the next village to keep house for him, but of course tongues started wagging, and one day Annie and Lizzie's old mother came to the house and said, 'John, wad ye no' tak Lizzie tae wife?', which he duly did.

I know of another fisherman in the same village who was married twice, and his wives weren't related, but they were both called Janet Brown. I suppose it saved him having to memorise another name.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 February 15 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Here's another interesting example from my own family. My mother came from Crail in Fife, and I was born in my granny's house there. My maternal grandfather in Crail had a cousin who was married twice, and this man's second wife was the daughter of one of his cousins, i.e. his 1st cousin once removed.

Think of one of your cousins, who has children, then imagine marrying your cousin's son or daughter. I'm surprised it was allowed.

Harry