Author Topic: John McColl baptised Aharacle, Argyll 1818  (Read 3104 times)

Offline zabet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McColl baptised Aharacle, Argyll 1818
« on: Monday 09 February 15 05:17 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for John McColl, baptised Aharacle, Argyll 1818.

I have found his siblings in NSW & Victoria, Australia and a newspaper clipping from Australia suggests that all the children of John McColl Sr and Jane [Jean, Jannet] Campbell came to Australia [1849?] after their mother's death.  So far the name of their ship is a mystery.

Except for Archibald Campbell McColl, my g.grandfather, who migrated before them in 1842.

I can't pin down a definitive death or life story for John Jr in Australia, though have yet to check Queensland where his youngest sister, Mary Brooke married in 1863. 

I am aware that the memory of John Sr is much reviled because of his part in the clearances at the bidding of James Riddell. John Sr died in 1843 at about the time the property Mingary was sold. After the sale the family move to Oban for a time, then to Clarkston.

I did find a probate inventory stating that a John McColl, formerly cotton spinner died on August 14, 1848 at Glasgow, having resided at Clarkston and then Greenhead. There is no clear indication of family connections in that document.

John's mother Jane and possibly his uncle, Duncan, died at Clarkston in 1846, the legal aspects being finalised in 1847.

Having found some false clues they are included below in case they are of help someone, just so the time spent is not wasted:

John McColl died Lexton, Victoria 22 March 1879, age 63...indebted to  John McPhee, whose probate statement says that he died at Amherst, possibly referring to the Goldfields Hospital at Amherst.
John's parents are listed as Donald McColl & Bertha Campbell
His wife was Euphemia Cameron [2nfd marriage for her, 1st one to a John McPhee]. Her parents were Hugh & Sarah Cameron. She died at Lexton in 1896, listed as age 90 which may be incorrect as the shipping list has her as 35 in 1852.
They arrived in Victoria on the Cambodia in March 1852, with their children Bethia age 2 and Sarah age 5. This seems to be the perennial story of a struggling debt- ridden farmer.

John McColl buried? December 1, 1848 at Glasgow,  age 56 Weaver & Pens[ione]r 26th Regiment, Decline.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John McColl baptised Aharacle, Argyll 1818
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 February 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I did find a probate inventory stating that a John McColl, formerly cotton spinner died on August 14, 1848 at Glasgow, having resided at Clarkston and then Greenhead. There is no clear indication of family connections in that document.

There is no such thing as probate in Scots Law. If you have found anything termed 'probate' relating to someone who normally lived in Scotland, it is likely to be a sealing in another jurisdiction, for example in England. This is sort of like a rubber stamp in the other jurisdiction, and allows the deceased's estate to be dealt with in both jurisdictions without having to go through the whole legal palaver twice.

The process required to to settle a deceased person's affairs in Scotland is Confirmation, not Probate.

Confirmation often generates two records. First, there is a list of what the deceased owned. This is called an inventory.

Second, the Confirmation would include the will or settlement if the deceased left one.

If you found this so-called 'probate' on Ancestry.com, be aware that Ancestry has a list of estates proved in England and Wales, which it calls, blatantly incorrectly, 'UK probate'. This list does mention many sealings of Scottish confirmations, where the deceased left property in England or Wales, but it does not include all executries confirmed in Scotland. Another instance of Ancestry being potentially very misleading. (Irish estates are not included either, unless an executry proved in Ireland was also sealed in England or Wales.)

The source of wills in Scotland is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. The index is free to search, and wills can be downloaded immediately for 10 credits (£2.33) which is much cheaper than the £10 it costs to get details of an English or Welsh probate. However if there is only an Inventory, the documents you get will not tell you much about the deceased's relatives.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline zabet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McColl baptised Aharacle, Argyll 1818
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Just in case the answer is of interest to someone:
He died on 14 August 1848 at 48 Tobago Street Glasgow, [the Calton Cabinet Works].. as per The Glasgow Herald...