Author Topic: Richard Crossley 1743 - 1815  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Stephen65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Crossley 1743 - 1815
« on: Monday 09 February 15 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to confirm the names of Richard Crossley's parents, According to Richard's gravestone he was the the third son of John Crossley of Hilton in the County of Derby, I have not been able to find Hilton parish records.
Having left Derby at an early age Richard Crossley became a well known silver smith in London dying without issue in 1815. His will was very complicated and ran to 19 pages, and is very difficult to read. I know from the will he had a sister Sarah 1748 - 1836 who married Joannes Kerschner. He had a brother William two of William's daughters Catherine and Elizabeth are mentioned along with William's eldest son (no name).
Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks
steve

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Crossley 1743 - 1815
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

According to genuki  they are not aware of any church at Hilton, if you try the neighbouring parishes such as Marston on Dove, Sutton on the Hill etc you might just find him.

Shirl

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/nearby?CCC=DBY,GRIDREF=SK244319,DISTANCE=5,PN=Hilton
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

I have checked Marston on Dove and Sutton on the Hill baptisms, but no Richard Crossley I'm afraid.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 18:52 GMT (UK) »
www.familysearch.org has numerous baptisms of Crossleys around that era in Etwall, Derbyshire, to a John and Catherine. Amongst them is a Sarah and a William, but I cant actually see a Richard.

Might be worth looking through Etwall PRs. (I am not Derbyshire savvy, so have no idea if Etwall is near Hilton or not)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you all for the suggestions, I will broaden my search, I have Crossley's in Brailsford and Hollington, that I believe to be nephews and nieces of Richard. I will keep searching.
Many thanks
Steve

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 February 15 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve....along with my more illustrious fellow researchers, i have failed to find Richard Crossley.

BUT...knowing the area very well..the area being the A50 from Kegworth..south of Derby..via Hilton.Etwall..and on into Stoke on Trent.......there are a number of possible clues. One of which is the close proximity to Staffordshire....and a fluctuating border between the two counties.

Etwall is interesting as is Brailsford..none of these places...Hilton..Etwall..Aston on trent..Weston on Trent..Stanton by Bridge..Swarkestone and even Longford..are more than a spit away from each other.......

JOHN CROSSLEY married CATHERINE ATKINS at Etwall 30.06.1730......... they had the following children:-
Catherine bapt 21.10.1731
Elizabeth 02.11.1734
WILLIAM 23.09.1737
John 17.08.1740
Thomas 29.05.1744
SARAH 21.02.1746

IF Richard was born at Hilton..it is very likely he would have been baptised at Etwall...or Swarkestone..or somewhere close to Burton on trent (then in Staffs)..or even in Derby itself.possiblt St.Alkmund..I offer the Etwall family as a possibility..with no explanation as to ehy Richard is missing.

I have seen Richard Crossley's Hall mark on a piece of 1812 London Silver...........and I am amazed that a man so well-documented does not seem to have a baptism!

You are probably well aware of "The fruit of Experience" by Joseph Brasbridge .a some time boss, and long term associate of "Charcoal Dick"....who became the Silversmith you know........who "began the world with one hundred pounds and left off business (i.e retired) with eighty thousand pounds.."...........who became more and more frugal, the richer he got, and would not but expensive cuts of meat when mutton would do.........and left the bulk of his fortune to his nephew.."who was at the plough tail when he heard of his uncle's death"
I suggest to you that this might have been at Brailsford.

Good luck

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Stephen65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 February 15 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Derek,

I would like to thank you for your very informative reply, this is my first post on this site and all the replies have been so helpful.
I was aware of "The Fruit of Experience" I have read somewhere that the piece of mutton on Sunday would have to last until Thursday.
I think the Etwall family seems the most likely.
According to Richard's grave his father John lived in Wooburn, Buckinghamshire, so I am presuming he died there.
From Richard's will I already have the following children.
John 1736 - 1836
Richard 1743 - 1815
William
Sarah
Hannah

Sarah married Joannes Kerschner in London in 1779, I do wonder if you had to have "Crossley" in your name to inherit, on this side of the family 1st cousin married 1st cousin, but they never had children, so their share went laterally, one Ernest Augustas Kerschner, changed his name by deed to Ernest Crossley and then married his cousin Sarah Crossley Brock (nee Kerschner) so she became Sarah Crossley Crossley!

I know William had two daughters Elizabeth and Catherine from the will but  I have a feeling that William married Bridget in Hollington and they had six children,
John Crossley 1776 - 1845 in Chalfont St Giles his will is all based on bequests from Richard,
Elizabeth  married Joseph Beeston
Mary Crossley  married William Irwin
Catherine Crossley married Thomas Garratt
Again, there were marriages by 1st cousins on this side of the family.

John Crossley born 1736, is mentioned in a book "History and Antiquities of Uttoxeter" regarding the rebellion of 1745 "The late Mr. Crossley, of the Old Turnpike Uttoxeter who died in 1835 at the age of 100 years and eight months, was then a youth at Brailsford, of about 11 years, and he, with a horse and cart, were pressed into the service of the Pretender as he returned"
John's grave is one of the few still standing in Uttoxeter churchyard.
John Crossley married twice, Mary Newman who died in 1812, I am not sure if there were any children from that marriage, he then married Sarah who was born in 1786, their 1st son was John Crossley born 1814, and this is another nephew who inherited from Richard. John married Louisa Roobotom and accumulated even more wealth with property, he died in 1879 with no issue, his wife died in 1885 and probate was granted to Walter Charles Towers Mynors (nephew) I have not fitted him into the tree yet. The bulk of John's estate again followed the will of Richard, and the bulk went to another nephew, the son of John's brother William who was born 1816 Heath Top, Derbyshire, there were then approximately 30 nephews and nieces who received £100 each, not bad in 1879, one of them being my Great grand father Edgar Crossley who went on to manage the first Boots the chemists in Derby. Edgar's Grandson Martin du Sautoy a former teacher at Herbert Strutts, a deputy mayor and town councillor has recently died and most of my information has come from going through all the papers I have been left.
So I bring this story to the present day, and I really hope I have not bored anyone who reads it. My quest will continue.
with many thanks
Steve

Offline Cazo

• RootsChat Extra
  • South African Irish English Scottish Welsh French
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 August 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

My family are descended from William Irwin & Mary Crossley (their daughter Selina to be exact). Would be interested to get in touch as I've done a bit of research on the family - but some of it contradicts yours so would be great to sort out the inconsistencies.

:)
South Africa, St Helena, Ireland, Scotland, England

Offline Stephen65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Cazo,

Thank you for your message, I have sent you a pm, but I believe that Selina Crossley Irwin married Samuel Bullock 8-10-1844 and they had three children, Eleanor Selina 1846, Isabella 1856 and Henry Samuel 1858. It would be interesting to see our differences.
Thanks
Steve