Author Topic: The Gunter family of Machen / Bassaleg  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Ian Gunter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Gunter family of Machen / Bassaleg
« on: Tuesday 10 February 15 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
Can anyone help me to fill in some gaps?

I have so far traced & proven my direct paternal 'Gunter' line, back to 1780. My father Douglas James Gunter, was born in Risca, Monmouthshire, and his father's go back through Cyril, b.1907, John Arthur, b.1881, Jacob, b.1850,  John, b.1817 & John b.circa 1870, all of Machen / Bassaleg in Monmouthshire.

I have also found a Lewis Gunter who died in Bassaleg in 1743, but I haven't found definitive proof of their link as yet.  Then there is an Ann Gunter, burial 1684 ~ Mar 2 in Machen.

Also there is a reference to a Thomas Gunter of Machen;in the national Library of Wales Archives;
Thomas Gunter, 1644 Machen. Son Morgan Thomas (Morgan ap Thomas), grandchildren Thomas Morgan, David Morgan, Margaret, Blanch & Joan Morgan children of son Morgan. Daug. Margaret married to Morgan

What I would really like to do is find out if these connect, & if we then connect back to the Abergavenny / Breconshire line to Gunterstone / Tre-Gunter... Its a tantalisingly short distance up the Usk from Newport.....

Can anyone help?
Many thanks in anticipation,
Ian Gunter.

Offline rita tait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Gunter family of Machen / Bassaleg
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Are you still researching the Monmouthshire Gunters? I am working with the Welsh Georgian Trust in Abergavenny. We have just bought the Gunter Mansion there and plan to restore it and open up the former secret Catholic chapel in the roof.

Offline Natosha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi guys. Please add the group Gunter Familie on facebook. Maybe that will help

Offline Anwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian,
You may be interested in this from 'Mistress Blanche, Queen Elizabeth I's Confidante', the biography of Blanche Parry by Ruth E. Richardson:

'Gruffudd ap Henry, Blanche’s great-great-grandfather
      As far as we know, Gruffudd (approximately pronounced Griffith) [5] was the first in Blanche’s family to have a connection with Dore Abbey. His father was Harri ap Siôn (Henry the son of John) of Oldcourt, which has been variously identified as Poston, Oldcourt Farm by Tremorithic, or Old Hall field west of the future Newcourt. Gruffudd, described by Guto’r Glyn as a brave…a noble man, married Mawd, the daughter and heir of Gwilym / William Llwyd of Tregunter / Trefgwnter (anglicised to Gunterston / Gonterston). Guto’r Glyn called her the generous Mawd …the faultless girl and she is mentioned several times, suggesting a charming lady who made a considerable impression on all who knew her. Mawd’s father was also a patron of the bards. It was through Mawd that the family acquired the manor of Trostrey in the lordship of Usk and it is through Gunterston and Trostrey that links can be made between Gruffudd and other family members......'

Hope it helps. See: www.blancheparry.com  Regards.