Author Topic: Marriage  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage
« on: Tuesday 10 February 15 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I have queried a marriage for quite a while now as I am not sure as to whether it is correct for my tree. Can anybody confirm that if a person is a widow or widower when marrying that it isn't always put on church parish records.

CraftyP

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 16:09 GMT (UK) »
It would depend on what that person told the vicar.  I have seen widows described as spinsters and widowers as bachelors but at the end of the day - it's usually what they gave as their previous marital status.  Unless the vicar/priest knew them personally he would be unable to challenge it

Depending on what timescale is involved - you also have to allow for the educational levels involved (eg) a widow/widower may think of themselves as a single person so may innocently present that as their previous marital status
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I think I will check the parish records again and see if it was the same vicar who married him that   buried his wife the year before CarolW in which case as you say he wouldn't recognise him. It's just that I want to be sure as this has bugged me for a few years and I have resisted putting it on my tree

CraftyP

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 09:13 GMT (UK) »
My great-great grandfather married in 1857, age 37, and was described as a bachelor on both the marriage certificate and parish register.

However. some time later, I found another marriage in 1854, when he was described on the register as a widower. His second wife died in 1856, so he was widowed twice, although I have not been able to find his first marriage.

Both marriages were at the same church and the register signed by the same curate. This was in Liverpool, so it was less likely that the curate would have remembered him, compared to a country church.

David

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I think by the two replies that you both have given me that  I must have the correct marriage  although I think I will out of curiosity check the vicar after CarolW's reply.
Thank you both of you for taking the time to reply
CraftyP