Author Topic: Lizzie Smith, daughter of Charles  (Read 2162 times)

Offline j9dw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lizzie Smith, daughter of Charles
« on: Tuesday 10 February 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I hope someone can help to break down the brick, wall so we can add the final great great grand parent to my friend's tree.

His great grandmother was Lizzie SMITH whose father, from her marriage certificate, was a deceased labourer called Charles SMITH.  She married Jesse James GODFREY in October 1902 in Edmonton, Mddx (Jesse was from Oxfordshire). Her address at time was Hall Green, Birmingham and she said she was 18 and a servant. We can't find her in the 1901 census in Hall Green.

I have Lizzie & Godfrey in the 1911 census, it says she was born in Stourbridge and was 28 years old.

She died on the 12th of March 1952 in Coventry, aged (according to BMD) 68.

The only likely birth registration in BMD is the 2nd quarter of 1883, but that would have made her 19 when she married and there appears to be a SMITH family in Stourbridge with parents George & Caroline in 1901 who were who were also in Stourbridge in 1881, who, according to the censuses, also had a Lizzie, so I'm assuming that their Lizzie was the June '83 one.

I found an Elizabeth SMITH, daughter of Charles & Caroline in the England, Select Births and Christenings, but this child, although christened in 1893, on further investigation appears to have been born in 1879 (4 children in the same family being christened at the same time).

I can't seem to find her in the 91 or 01 censuses, but what would be fantastic would be if someone could find her in the parish registers, so we could see what her Mum's name was.

Keeping my fingers crossed that someone knows of this Lizzie, or can find her.

Thanks alot.
Janine

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Lizzie Smith, daughter of Charles
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

She married Jesse James GODFREY in October 1902 in Edmonton, Mddx (Jesse was from Oxfordshire). Her address at time was Hall Green, Birmingham and she said she was 18 and a servant.

That sounds a little bit suspicious to me - why would a couple from Birmingham and Oxford go to London to marry unless perhaps they were doing it in secret? If that is the case, perhaps she was also not telling the truth about her father.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline j9dw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

She married Jesse James GODFREY in October 1902 in Edmonton, Mddx (Jesse was from Oxfordshire). Her address at time was Hall Green, Birmingham and she said she was 18 and a servant.

That sounds a little bit suspicious to me - why would a couple from Birmingham and Oxford go to London to marry unless perhaps they were doing it in secret? If that is the case, perhaps she was also not telling the truth about her father.

Yes, that *was* something we'd considered, especially as the witnesses don't appear to be family and the marriage was in a registry office. She may even have lied about her age. Maybe her father wasn't dead at all & she was just saying that so that he wouldn't need to give his consent for the marriage, Maybe he wasn't Charles.

At least they went back to the Midlands, so maybe it was all alright in the end for them. Their first two children were born in London (1903 & 1904) then the next two were born in Coventry (1906 & 1909). 

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 00:04 GMT (UK) »
The only likely birth registration in BMD is the 2nd quarter of 1883

There are several Elizabeth Smiths born in Stourbridge around the right time, and without her birth you cant know for sure that she was registered or even baptised as Lizzie.

Have you ruled out for sure the Smith family in the Stourbridge Union Workhouse in 1891?  RG12; Piece: 2310; Folio: 140; Page: 3

Jane  Smith  49  Single Inmate  b Lye, Worcestershire  Inmate of Work House Domestic Servant
Eliza (?)  Smith  9   Her Child Inmate  b Lye, Worcestershire  Inmate of Work House   
Elizth Smith  7  Her Child Inmate  b Lye, Worcestershire  Inmate of Work House   

A possibility for 1901? 
Dr Barnados Home Mare Street, Hackney
Elizabeth Smith  16  Inmate  b Cradley, Worcestershire 

Added: the Elizabeth Smith in the workhouse in 1891 was apparently the daughter of Matilda Smith.  A bit more information about 1901 here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eqb/   Edited as the age is wrong, and although this one doesn't fit with the census date, the reference to Cradley could be interesting as it links to the Barnado's reference: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eqc/

She also had a brother named Charles: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eqd/

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline j9dw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 14:43 GMT (UK) »
There are several Elizabeth Smiths born in Stourbridge around the right time, and without her birth you cant know for sure that she was registered or even baptised as Lizzie.

Have you ruled out for sure the Smith family in the Stourbridge Union Workhouse in 1891?  RG12; Piece: 2310; Folio: 140; Page: 3

Jane  Smith  49  Single Inmate  b Lye, Worcestershire  Inmate of Work House Domestic Servant
Eliza (?)  Smith  9   Her Child Inmate  b Lye, Worcestershire  Inmate of Work House   
Elizth Smith  7  Her Child Inmate  b Lye, Worcestershire  Inmate of Work House   

A possibility for 1901? 
Dr Barnados Home Mare Street, Hackney
Elizabeth Smith  16  Inmate  b Cradley, Worcestershire 

Added: the Elizabeth Smith in the workhouse in 1891 was apparently the daughter of Matilda Smith.  A bit more information about 1901 here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eqb/   Edited as the age is wrong, and although this one doesn't fit with the census date, the reference to Cradley could be interesting as it links to the Barnado's reference: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eqc/

She also had a brother named Charles: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eqd/
[/quote]

All useful stuff, thank you  :). She appeared to use "Lizzie" for everything, but, of course, there are options for that, Eliza, Elizabeth, Elisabeth etc. I had found a family that nearly fitted, but the father, Charles, was a policeman & not a labourer, however, we don't really know what misinformation Lizzie may have given at any stage.

It's such a shame that all of Lizzie's children have now passed away, and most of her grandchildren and after that, family stories start to dilute quite rapidly don't they.

My friend's father left him with a *lot* of info and stories from the paternal side, but this is the maternal side.