Author Topic: Sandwell Training Home: circa 1871  (Read 1529 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sandwell Training Home: circa 1871
« on: Tuesday 10 February 15 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Readers

I have traced a distant relative to Ancestry page: STSRG10_2986_2988-0294  [West Bromwich, Staffordshire, census: 1871] as a "Servant Housemaid" at an establishment which appears to be a girls school, two pages earlier the establishment is described as "Sandwell Training Home".

I have carried out an Internet search for an establishment of that name and of that time, however nothing of that time has been returned.  I have additionally searched the "Schools" element of "The Workhouse" website also without success.

Is it possible that anyone with local Sandwell knowledge might be able to point me in the direction of any information concerning this establishment?

JohnG, Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sandwell Training Home: circa 1871
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi JohnG,

There are some online newspaper articles for Sandwell Training School (unfortunately I cannot gain full access) however it would seem that it was a Training Home for Domestic Servants.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Bit more info -

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/staffs/vol17/pp74-83

Scroll down to private schools.

Sandwell hall was originally intended for the training of girls as domestic servants and boys as agricultural labourers. Under the direction of Laetitia Frances Selwyn, sister of the bishop of Lichfield, the house also became a ladies' home and a school for middle-class girls, many of whom were trained as governesses. In the 1880s, under Miss Selwyn's successor, Sandwell combined the functions of a girls' school, a college for the higher education of girls, and an industrial school for girls and boys.

JJ

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
JJen,

Many thanks for your two replies, the second of which I found to be most informative.

I shall try your suggestion about Online Newpapers, next time I'm in the local library.

Once again, many thanks.

JohnG. Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.