Author Topic: William Thorburn 1799 + Marion Lee or Margaret Sanderson  (Read 8620 times)

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Thorburn 1799 + Marion Lee or Margaret Sanderson
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 February 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
The 'other Thorburn Tree' has that date for Marion, and a date of 17 Dec 1838 for William, which would explain why they don't feature in any of the censuses. I will try for 'my'William's will, although I have  a suspicion I may have already done that. First stop, my research notes.
Hicks, Thorburn, Bennett, Millar, Parsons

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 February 15 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I note with interest

1841 Census: George L Thorburn, 21, painter and glazier journeyman, born Midlothian, in household with John and Elizabeth Monro at 4 Carnegie Street, St Cuthberts. Also Walter Forman, aged 12, and Andrew Forman, 7.

1841 Census: William Thorburn, 15, baker apprentice, in household of John Herdman, baker, wife Margaret Alison and children.

1841 Census: Robert Thorburn, aged 14, a pupil in George Heriot's Hospital, who could be the son of Marion Lee. Do Heriot's have pupil records? Are they available for research?

Can't find Agnes b 1824.

1851 Census: Elizabeth Munro, 51, widow and Andrew Forman, son, 16 at 1 Simpsons Court.

1851 Census: George L Thorburn, 31, painter, in household with wife, children and William T, brother, 26, baker.

Marriage in St Cuthberts 18 July 1838 of John Munro to Elizabeth Thorburn or Fornan, other name Walter Thorburn.

Baptism of Walter, son of Andrew Foreman and Elizabeth Thorburn, in St Cuthberts on 21 August 1829.

Death of Elizabeth Munro or Thorburn, 69, Canongate, 1865, mother's name Bold.

Deduction: Elizabeth Thorburn, born 1795/1800, married (1) Andrew Foreman and (2) John Munro, twice widowed, died 1865, parents Walter Thorburn and ? Bold.

Comment: The dispersal of the three boys in 1841 would fit with the deaths of their parents in 1838 and 1841.

Questions: (1) Is George L Thorburn the son of William T and the recently deceased Marion Lee? (2) Why would he be living with an Elizabeth Thorburn if they are not related? Coincidence?

Speculation: Elizabeth is the sister of the William T who married Marion Lee. If so, then her death certificate will provide the names of the parents of that William T.

PS There are 10 deaths of George Lee Thorburns 1855-2013, one of whom was born 1820 plus or minus 2 years. If he matches the George L in 1851 and is the son of William T and Marion Lee, I think that would almost clinch William's identity.

PPS William Thorburn, baker, 72 St Leonard Street, died 29 December 1879 and left a 9-page will. There is one match in deaths index for William T, born 1824 plus or minus one year, death registered in 1879. If he is the son of WT and Marion Lee, I think that would be sufficient evidence for his father's parentage.

Action: Get those three DCs from SP and see what they say.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 February 15 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you have been busy! Thank you so much. There is a lot of information there that should be useful. You had better luck than me, who searched for wills for either William with no luck. With your help, we might finally be getting somewhere.

Offline ODMCL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hullo. I only check Rootschat occasionally. Hence the delay.
The George Thorburn who married Marion Lee in 1819 is my ancestor. I am not convinced he was born in Penicuik. I think he was born about 1789 but the birth was not registered in the OPRs (which was quite common). Marion, born 1793 was the daughter of George Lee and Marion Farquharson. Hence all the George Lee Thorburns and William Lee Thorburns that are found through the generations. There is a lot of documentary evidence about George Lee, including his will.
George Thorburn was an upholsterer and died in 1838. Marion died in 1841 a month before the census. They had 4 sons, George Lee, John, William and Robert. The 4 sons were then all scattered in the 1841 census.

Offline ODMCL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 October 15 09:16 BST (UK) »
Slight error in previous post. First line should refer to William, not George, Thorburn.

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 November 15 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying to this. I am currently on the other side of the world to my usual one, and while my iPad is marvelous, it does have its limitations.
Thank you so much for your contribution. I shall pass all this on to the 'other Thorburn' and I am sure he will be able to use it. Trying to sort t'other from which has been fascinating. At least now I am sure there were two Thorburns with the same name.  :)

Offline Diana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 04:29 GMT (UK) »
H just noticed your post. I am doing William Sanderson tree. I have a Isabella TORNBURN SCOTT born 1902 She  married 4 Aug 1922 RC Chapel Leith. Her parents were John Scott and Christina Lender Taylor.
Somewhere along the line the surname Thornburn  must come in
Di
Fulkes/Fulks/Fulke. Yates, Ashton,Gamage, Jefkins,Lowen, Pooley,Colcock, Bellchambers, all London, Surrey, Sussex Middlesex
Jones, Reece, Granger, Treherne, Worrall Ward, Weeks, Morrey,Thomas, Owen, Dorsett, Hinton all started out in Shropshire

Offline ODMCL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian in his reply of 13 February proved fairly conclusively that the William Thorburn who married Marion Lee was the son of Walter Thorburn and Elizabeth Boll, who were married 5 August 1780. I have found various other circunstances which make it even more certain, their common occupation and where they lived. This William died on 27 September 1838 aged 49. This means that he was born about 1789, very slightly older than Marion who was born in 1791. It is not uncommon for children, especially male children not to be registered in the OPRs.