Author Topic: Stalag IVB  (Read 6950 times)

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stalag IVB
« on: Wednesday 11 February 15 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Jackson W
CE

Stalag IVB 229609

The dog tags of Uncle Will (Gt Yarmouth 1913 -1959).
I don't know when or how he came to be captured, how long he was imprisoned, when he was released and by whom, even which service he was in.
A few years ago I saw a TV program about a jazz band in Stalag IVB & wondered if Uncle Will was the pianist, my formidable grandmother having put all her sons to piano lessons.
I'd be very grateful for any information and offer thanks to those who tried to help me learn more about my "motherless" WWI granddad. Through Rootschat, an unknown and unexpected cousin in Melbourne recently contacted me. I know more, but granddad still remains without a mother, as does his sister Catherine I never knew about. (James Kelly 1895-1927)
j

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stalag IVB
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has a record of a Fusilier WV Jackson Royal Fusiliers with the army number and POW number you quote in a POW camp STALAG IV D/Z located in Annaburg in the state of Saxony-Anhalt.  This camp (thanks Wikipedia) was near(ish) to STALAG IVB and apparently was, from 1944, where prisoners about to be exchanged or returned home on medical grounds were held.
I understand one can get details of what the record contains from the army record office that has them, in this case, Infantry and Army Physical Training Corps Record Office, Stanwell Road School, Ashford, Middlesex.

To know more about his army record, as he is a WW2 soldier, you will need to get (ie pay for) his documents.  There is a guide on how to do this on Rootschat which someone more expert than I will no doubt point you towards.  Later - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Whether any of this will tell you about the jazz playing - who knows?  There are a number of mentions of bands to be found if you spend a hour or so Googling STALAG IVB and searching for the term band or jazz.

Hope this helps?
maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this, I now know far more than I did a couple of hours ago!
It's interesting that Stalag IV D/Z was a camp for prisoners due to be released because of medical problems as family folk lore has it that Uncle Will became diabetic during his incarceration.
Many thanks.
j

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.  It was IV D/Z which was the camp for poorly folk, probability is that he was first in IVB (hence the info you had) and then transferred to IV D/Z when he became diabetic.  IVD is some 200 plus km from IVB and D/Z 20km from IVD

There is some info on STALAG IVD findable on Google.  http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/pow/stalag4dz.html is all I've been able to find about IVD/Z
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, it's very kind of you to help
j

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Stalag 1VB was an N.C.O. Camp, but it was also one where POW were initially registered by the Germans.

They were "de loused", given a thorough Medical along with all the necessary injections. Issued with new kit where needed. Photographed and given a POW Identity tag.

Other Ranks were sent to work details where they were needed after this initial registration.
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 February 15 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, ADM199.
I asked my library if they could get "Prisoners of War, British Army, 1939-1945", but because of their rapidly diminishing budget and the cost of the book, decided not to continue with my request.
There may be some other way to learn how & when he went to Stalag IVB and when he left.
Thank you again
j

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 February 15 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Kdr. der Kriegsgefangenen Im Wk IV (Commander of POW Camps in Military District IV (Dresden).

Stammlager (Other ranks) A to G. B Muelberg, D Neuburxdorf 5Aug40, 1941 in Torgau.

Offizierlager (Officers) A to D. C was the famous Colditz Castle.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline maggieloughran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 January 18 00:02 GMT (UK) »
hello
i am new to this site so am still learning how to use it
you seem to be a founatian of knowledge.

i am researching my father's history so i hope you can point me in some direction.   i would be very grateful

he was taken prisoner in Tripoli and sent to a n Italian POW camp.   he only said that he could see Vesuvius

i have a photograph whicn my mother sent hime..and it came back so i presume  information is correct
on the back it says

4346341 pte  #garrat ( wrong spelling as his name was GARRATT

campo 87
PIN   3400

i know that he was released from the Italian POW camp when Italy capitulated and sent to a German POW camp before finishing up in Austria in a tree-felling  camp

i have detaios of the austrian end, and a going to visit in March.

Cab you give me any pointers about how to fill in some of the gaps.

best regardsw

Maggie Loughran