Author Topic: Alex McLeod WW1 Cambusnethan  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Alex McLeod WW1 Cambusnethan
« on: Wednesday 11 February 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys, I was looking at Cambusnethan North Church memorial board and there is a guy I can't find.  An Alex McLeod who it states died what looks like 8th March 1920 (I said looks, must have the shakes)  I can't get him on Soldiers who died cd, or Scotlands People?? Any takers??

Swally

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alex McLeod WW1 Cambusnethan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried CWGC ....if he was discharged and died after maybe hes not listed.

CWGC covers up to 1921 Soldiers died rarely captures deaths after Nov 18

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/668094/McLEOD,%20A

Closest i can see is above lad RNR

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

I have found him!
He was the School Master of Overton School in Wishaw and died on the 21st of March 1920 at "The Woodlands" Motherwell, usual residence Overton School House, Waterloo.  He was the son of William McLeod (master tailor) and Catherine Cowan, he was married to a Jane Fletcher.  He died of Diabetes and Pulmonary Tuberculosis.  I can only surmise that the TB (was not due to the war, but his lungs may have been sufficiently scarred by gas making them weak).  This may be why he is named on Cambusnethan North Church Board.......unless you can tell me different!!!!

Regards,

Swally

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Swally Tb can be a diificult one unless his record survives.....have you any service details if it was attributable to service you can retrospectively ask for review to get him added to CWGC

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
MM,

I found out a wee bit more on my man.

The Late Mr. A. McLeod, M.A.

The Rev. John P. Murdoch, B.D. at the noon service in Cambusnethan United Free Church on Sunday made the following reference to the late Mr. Alexander McLeod, M.A., headmaster, Overtown Public School.

“The congregation has lost a very valuable member and office bearer in the death of Mr. Alexander McLeod.  His untimely end was hastened by exposure in France and the hard campaigning necessary in the Great War.  Wherever he went his strong, somewhat silent character left its mark.  The church felt his worth, and 8 years previously called him to the office of the deaconate, where he did quiet effectual work in impressing all his co-workers with his same counsel and breadth of view.  Others may speak of his teaching gifts and scholastic work, but we have personally been indebted to him for his religious work amongst the young men and women in the congregational Bible Class and specially the Waterloo Bible Class.  He felt himself responsible for the spiritual welfare, as well as for the academic interests of the district, he had wise plans for its development, which death has interrupted.  He loved the profession of which he was an honoured member.  We had come to look upon our brother as full of great promise for our congregational life, who would become increasingly more useful as the years went on.  To myself, he was a brother beloved to whom frank and intimate converse could be safely be made.  It is a very tragic stroke to his widow, who aided him in his good work.  To her our deepest sympathy goes out today.”

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
There is a group called IN FROM THE COLD who help have casualties identified and then recognised by the War Graves Commission. The group will require as much information as you can provide.
Give this a try and see what results.
Morag
Fraser, McNay, Maxwell, McKnight, Gray, Greenshields

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 23:46 BST (UK) »
Morag, hadn't heard of this group before, www.infromthecold.org/ Thank you for adding  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 August 15 01:00 BST (UK) »
You're gonna need a death certificate initially.See what that says.If he was discharged due to illness then that may be useful for any retrospective commemoration.He is within CWGC cut off dates.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 August 15 02:09 BST (UK) »
Swally,

I am interested in your Jane FLETCHER. Any parents' names for her, birth place etc. I am a Scottish FLETCHER.

Mary Fletcher Harris
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull