Author Topic: Thomas Newell c. 1620  (Read 2655 times)

Offline PBtini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Newell c. 1620
« on: Wednesday 11 February 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Good day! 

I am looking for information about Thomas Newell (c. 1620 - 1689) who emigrated to America about 1630 - 1640. At this time, I do not know from what port in England he left nor the ship's name - but he settled in Connecticut not later than 1640.

According to the information I have found to date, there is nothing that specifically states what parish (or other locality) in Hertfordshire he was from. If the references have any origin or birth information at all, it is similar to:  "... it is said [he came] from Hertfordshire ..." or  "... he was from Hertfordshire, although no documentation exists to confirm this."

I would appreciate any information on Newells in Hertfordshire or on Thomas Newell in particular. Thank you very much!

Brian

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Newell c. 1620
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What documented proof do you have for HERTFORD, Hertfordshire
rather than                                           HARTFORD, Connecticut?

According to some, he married an 17 year old (1841) and by 1850 had 12 children,
21 in all, including 5x Thomas.  ???

Cheers
Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline PBtini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick note! I understand your question - I've not uncovered any information that would seem to indicate he was born in America (and if so, whom his father or other family members were).

My confirmed data shows he married Rebecca Olmstead in 1643 in Hartford, Connecticut - she was about 19 at that time. They had 10 children in 21 years. He died on September 13, 1689, in Farmington, Connecticut, at the age of 69. His children are:

Rebeckah Newell 1643 – 1711
Mary Newell 1645 – 1676
John Newell 1647 – 1696
Thomas Newell 1650 – 1733
Hester Newell 1652 – 1739
Sarah Newell 1654 – 1700
Hannah Newell 1658 – 1757
Martha Newell 1658 – ?
Samuel Newell 1660 – 1753
Joseph Newell  1664 - 1689

The book "Thomas Newell and His Descendants" (pub 1878) states "... it is said he from Hertfordshire, England ...". The American Genealogical-Biographical Index states England (but nothing more) - I looked at the index call-outs and if they were specific, they claimed Hertfordshire also.

Several other publications about early New England settlers state similar thoughts - although one does say HEREfordshire (vs Hertfordshire). But most are consistent in claiming Hertfordshire. I also have not found his name on Pilgrim ship records - but I haven't looked at them all yet - but am focusing on looking prior to 1640 (the date he shows up in Connecticut records).

I hoping that all of these published references are not the result of just repeating incorrect information - but that's what makes these searches a challenge, eh? Thanks again for your ideas!

Cheers,
Brian

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 06:25 BST (UK) »
The place to start is Hertfordshire Names Online:

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?ebz=2_1438146915909&ebd=0

If you search for Newell 1550 - 1650 you will find several in Hertfordshire. With luck one of those wills in the early 17th century might mention a son named Thomas, though there would be no guarantee that he is the same person as your Thomas.

There is also an account and one inventory, of Richard Newell of St Albans, 1563. Inventories, listing all the person's possessions and their worth, are very interesting but have little information about other family members.

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline PBtini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the tip about Hertfordshire Names Online. It looks there may be some leads and I've ordered copies of some wills that are available. It looks like my next challenge will be to translate the 16th century writings to some modern English. :)  Good reading nonetheless.  Thanks again for the tip!

Brian