Author Topic: Francis Ashton b abt 1776 and John Ashton b abt 1775 are driving me insane!!  (Read 1714 times)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
Francis Ashton b abt 1776 and John Ashton b abt 1775 are driving me insane!!
« on: Thursday 12 February 15 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Mary Elwood/Ellwood was b abt 1778 in Lincolnshire. Francis could have been born 21 Jan 1777 at Brattleby, although there is also another Frances (Male) born in Brattleby 2 Jan 1777 - parents in both cases James Ashton and Sarah. John Ashton was supposedly Francis brother and b abt 1775 - I can't find anyone who fits especially as he is supposedly Francis brother. I have attached the notice from the paper where Mary marries John after Francis death. I can't find anyone who could be the other brother and/or the sister.

I'm not asking for someone to find them for me, I just want some ideas where to go from here.

Many thanks
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Ashton b abt 1776 and John Ashton b abt 1775 are driving me insane!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Who are the witnesses to the marriage
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Ashton b abt 1776 and John Ashton b abt 1775 are driving me insane!!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 15 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Witnesses are Francis and Frances ASHTON I think. http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=519580&iid=427939

I was wondering if they were the ones bap in Fiskerton in 1796 and 1788 respectively.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 15 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Geoff, do you think Francis and Frances are John's brother and sister, the paper notice said that the groom's  brother and sister attended in the place of the father? If so that would mean there were two Francis in the family, the winess and the one Mary was married to before John? And did this marriage happen in Lincoln? So perhaps they all were born in Lincoln, except Francis and Mary marriage says Francis is from St Swithin. Is that a Parish or a place?
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 14:45 GMT (UK) »
The place of abode given in the marriage register is their place of residence at the time.  It has no relation with birthplace.  St Swithin's  was/is the church just across the road from the Wheatsheaf Inn.

Don't imagine that Frances ASHTON was a rare name.  There were women of that name marrying at St Swithin's in 1808 (to James ASHTON, that's the one you will see in censuses) and 1812 (to James FIELD).

:-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.