Author Topic: Gloucestershire Parish Registers are on Ancestry  (Read 11335 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Gloucestershire Parish Registers are on Ancestry
« on: Thursday 12 February 15 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to find that ancestry have finally released the digitised parish registers from the GRO. ;D  Mind you the first I've looked at have found marriages indexed as baptisms. :-X  Usually ancestry quality control ....

They are colour copies, well the ones I've looked at anyway, so easier to read.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucestershire Parish Registers are on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 15 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Before we all get too excited, the Gloucestershire Parish Records database only includes:

Dymock - Parish Registers, 1538-1790
Bitton - Register of Bitton, 1572-1674
Hanham, Oldland - Parish Registers, 1584-1681
Abstracts of Inquisitiones Post Mortem, Court of Chancery in the reign of Charles I
Abstracts of Inquisitiones Post Mortem, 1236-1300
Bristol Diocese - Marriage Bonds, 1637-1700
Bristol - Register of Marriages, 1800-1837
Gloucester - Freemen of the City of Gloucester, 1641-1838
Register of Marriages,1557-1812
Abstracts of Inquisitiones Post Mortem for Gloucestershire, Returned into the High Court of Chancery, 1302-1358
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 15 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Its a start  :)

Thanks for the heads up
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 15 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry KGarrad, but you need to look under See All New Records on the homepage. ;D

Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=4732

Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5066

Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5156

Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5158

I do know a colour scan of an original parish register when I see one. ;)

Mind you they are playing up a bit at the moment.  Been waiting for these since they released the Wills last year.  Last time I checked GRO's website, they said they were due to be launched "in the Spring".
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
And as it's missing from KGarrad's list, the following is a link to the Gloucestershire Wills that were uploaded to ancestry last year:

Gloucestershire, England, Wills and Inventories, 1541-1858
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=4294

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 February 15 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I was quoting from Ancestry's Gloucestershire, England, Extracted Parish Records -the only link I could find in the Card Catalogue?

EDIT:
About Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813

This collection contains images of Church of England parish registers recording baptisms, marriages, and burials during the years 1538–1812 from various parishes in Gloucestershire, England.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 February 15 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I was quoting from Ancestry's Gloucestershire, England, Extracted Parish Records -the only link I could find in the Card Catalogue?

EDIT:
About Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813

This collection contains images of Church of England parish registers recording baptisms, marriages, and burials during the years 1538–1812 from various parishes in Gloucestershire, England.

And your point is? 

The source of the collection on the links in my previous post are Gloucestershire Archives.  Therefore they are copies of the original registers and NOT transcriptions.  Of course its going to say "various" because there are "various" parishes included.  If you actually browse the collection and look at the long list of parishes, you will probably find its all if not most of the county ... I say probably because ancestry do have a habit of leaving things off but that's not really the point considering the source.

As I said, if you check the "New Collections" post from the homepage, it tends to be more up to date than the card catalogue from my experience.

Stopping trying to dig yourself out of a hole ... I do know what I'm doing when I post a comment about a new collection or a link to something on ancestry.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 February 15 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Now, now boys  ;D  Kiss and make up  :-* :-* 

There is no need for such sarcasm  :-X

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 February 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Now, now boys  ;D  Kiss and make up  :-* :-* 

There is no need for such sarcasm  :-X

Less of the boys please, if you check my profile I am definitely not ... :-X