Author Topic: The Mystery of 2 sisters and one husband in Rhoscolyn.  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Mystery of 2 sisters and one husband in Rhoscolyn.
« on: Thursday 12 February 15 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to sort out details of my father's two sisters, Charlotte B. Richards, (1903), and Catherine Richards, (1904), both born in Llanddeusant but living with the rest of the family at Bryn Bella, Rhoscolyn, from around 1915 to 1934.
 I have the following details.
    Catherine (Kate), marries Richard H. Evans (1903) in 1927. They have twins in the same year,
    Hugh V. Evans and Thomas D. Evans.
    Charlotte B. Richards marries Thomas W. Jones in 1922. (No details of children, if any).
    In 1933 she is shown marrying Richard H. Evans and they have 2 (living) children.
    Cross referencing Richard H. Evans he is shown as being the same man, marrying the two
    sisters.
 What happened to Catherine? Did she die. Was she actually married to Richard? I knew my uncle Dick well; butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. Can anyone confirm the events above so that I can, with certainty, write it into my family tree.

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of 2 sisters and one husband in Rhoscolyn.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 February 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
It looks like the marriage of Catherine and Richard took place in the Dec qtr of 1927
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZY-5JFW

Also the birth of the twins in the same year/qtr
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV3J-JDTQ
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV3J-J6XB

And the death of Catherine - same year/qtr
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Acatherine~%20%2Bsurname%3Aevans~%20%2Bdeath_place%3Awales~%20%2Bdeath_year%3A1927-1927~&offset=20

Maybe her death was due to complications with childbirth?

Regards

Trish
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 15 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish.
  Many Thanks for your speedy reply. I always wondered why I'd never met her and now we know that she died in childbirth. I did wonder whether Cannon Law didn't allow for marriage with your sibling's widower but that's another question.
                                        regards, Peter
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 15 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter
there is an entry in the parish registers for burials in the parish of Rhoscolyn (1927) as follows:
Name - Catherine Evans
Abode - Brynbella
When buried - November 17
Age - 23 years
and below it there is another entry that says:
Name - Thomas David Evans
Abode - Brynbella
When buried - November 17
Age-12 days

I hope this helps
MarMnkly
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 21:18 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks for that Mar.
   Quite a tragic end to my uncle Dick's first marriage. He too was from Rhoscolyn and a really nice chap ... I was always afraid of Charlotte ... she made butter with an old-fashioned churn and had arms like Popeye.
                                Regards, Peter.

Offline DavE Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 May 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter.sorry i can't add anything about the two sisters.But what caught my attention was the farm Bryn Bella and the churn. My Great Grandfather farmed at a place called Bryn which is just a few hundred yards from Bryn Bella, he was there in 1891.The story that was passed down to me was that one of his daughters Betty (Elizabeth) visited Bryn Bella perhaps over night and they could here this churn going round at night they would even secure it with rope but they would still here it turning.So it was said it was haunted, i wish i had listened more when i was younger. You can find a picture of Bryn Bella on Google Images of Rhoscolyn.The picture was taken about 1907 as my Grandfather is sitting on wall to the left (born in 1895) my Great Gradfather William Jones is standing in the garden gate arms folded hat and boots. So if you know anybody in the photo or anything about Bryn Bella please get in touch.All the best Dave Hughes.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
            I have that photo of the Jones family outside Bryn Bella ... it's the only one that I can find of the place. My father carried the nickname of "Meic Bryn Bella" for many years. I know that at  Bryn Bella, auctions were held on a regular basis, and was well know for that. The churn story is probably one of many that circulated over the years, mixed up with my Auntie Charlotte's butter-making skills. Enough to frighten anyone.
                                                             Regards from Peter.