Author Topic: William Nixon of Enniskillen  (Read 6719 times)

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Nixon of Enniskillen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 May 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
Jeannette

William B-N may have ran into some "criminal charges" and insolvency issues between 1870 and 1880. I know that he left his wife and she applied for divorce on the grounds of absconding and adultery. My view has always been that he changed his name from William John Nixon to William Butler-Nixon to avoid his past.

Kelly
Woodhurst (ENG - Aust), Robins (Corn - Aust), Everett (Dorset - Aust), Younger (Lanark - Aust), Shadbolt (Hert - Aust), Ashton (Som - Aust), Coward (Wilt - Aust), Tanswell (Leic - Aust), Lane (Dor - Aust), James (Pemb - Aust), Aylward/Elward (Glam - Aust), Done (Ches & Shrop - Aust), Pearce (London - Sydney), Fraser (Argyll - Aust), Smith (Moray - Aust), Ross (London - Aust)

Offline Jeanette Woods

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 May 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly, thanks for that.  Are you a descendant? I have been to Enniskillen in the last few weeks and it became evident that Nixon was the local name, not Butler.  The name change was certainly for a reason.  Do you have any sources for your thoughts? 
Regards
Jeanette

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 May 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeannette

My husband is related through Louisa's sister Jessie Louisa Ross, Jessie is my husband's great grandmother.

I did a search for Susannah Crisp in Trove and there are a number of articles re her application for divorce in 1879. There was an advertisement attempting to locate him. I have attached both of these articles.

William married Susannah as William John Nixon, one of the articles mentions that he was in trouble with the law and had absconded 4 years earlier (about 1875). I am not 100% of his father's name, whether its Butler or Nixon, but I can only presume that he was covering his history.  I haven't seen his marriage certificate to Louisa so I have no idea if he has said widowed or divorcee.

On the 16/12/1873, insolvency proceedings were heard against a baker named William John Nixon. Not sure if its William B-N.

The criminal charge relates to one of theft of a horse and buggy, the property was located and he was arrested by Police. I will add this attachment to another reply due to attachment limits.

Woodhurst (ENG - Aust), Robins (Corn - Aust), Everett (Dorset - Aust), Younger (Lanark - Aust), Shadbolt (Hert - Aust), Ashton (Som - Aust), Coward (Wilt - Aust), Tanswell (Leic - Aust), Lane (Dor - Aust), James (Pemb - Aust), Aylward/Elward (Glam - Aust), Done (Ches & Shrop - Aust), Pearce (London - Sydney), Fraser (Argyll - Aust), Smith (Moray - Aust), Ross (London - Aust)

Offline gimmeatooheys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 May 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
Police Gazette

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 May 15 12:24 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/-donegal

come down the page to green box and type in Nixon of enniskillen

Deputy keepers report
Nixon family tital deed Proni 1709-1910 ref: D1024