Author Topic: Elizabeth Griffith / Williams / Price  (Read 12100 times)

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Griffith / Williams / Price
« on: Friday 13 February 15 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Griffth was born in Ffestiniog in the year 1880. She was the daughter of Hugh & Elizabeth Griffith. She died in the same area at the age of 81, 1961. I know that her second marriage was to a Owen Price, and together they had a daughter 'Mair', and they lived in Manod road, Ffestiniog.        Elizabeth was my gg grandmother, and my gg grandfather was her first husband, and it is with him I'm needing some help please.     I'm unable to find any information regarding Elizabeth's first marriage, and all I know for sure is that his surname was 'Williams', and that they had 3-5 children together. Their first child was my g grandfather 'Richard Hugh Williams', who also lived in the Ffestiniog area.  If anyone could find any information regarding Elizabeth's first marriage, I would be most great full. I seem to have hit that brick wall with this one.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Griffith / Williams / Price
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 February 15 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mandy

Do you have an approximate age for your g grandfather Richard Hugh Williams??   There is family tree on Ancestry that may be yours which lists Richard as born Hugh Williams as born about  1901 in Beaumaris, Anglesey, Wales?? 

This could tie in to the family below living Hermon Llacheynfarwydd, Anglesey in 1901 and by the next census Richard H and 2 younger siblings were living with their grandparents. However this is just a thought :-\

Richard Williams 24 Llacheynfarwydd, Anglesey Teamster on Farm
Elizabeth Williams 21  Llacheynfarwydd, Anglesey
Richard H Williams 1 Llacheynfarwydd, Anglesey

However this Elizabeth is not born in Ffestioniog and I can't see an Elizabeth born there pre this date with parents Hugh and Elizabeth :-\

Kay

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 February 15 22:40 GMT (UK) »
After speaking with a relative today, I can't be certain if Elizabeth Was born in Ffestiniog after all. On her death certificate the date of death is 1/8/61, aged 81. Her address was 85 Manod rd, wife of Owen Price (shoemaker). Informant Wm.Williams, 119 Manod rd.                                                     My g grandfather Richard H Williams (son of Elizabeth) was born 1901 in Anglesey, he died in Ffestiniog 1980. His wife, my g grandmother, was Grace Lloyd Hughes 1903-1983.                             I now know that Richard H Williams had a brother named William Williams, so possibly he could be the Wm Williams on Elizabeth's death certificate ??   I'm told that there may be a sister 'Elizabeth' and a Blodwen, or just the 1 sister named 'Elizabeth Blodwen'!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 February 15 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was not certain if you had Elizabeth on the 1881, if you did not could this be her, as the couple above with a young Richard H are in the same locality?

Hugh Griffith 35 occ Farm Lab b Anglesey
Elizth 32 b Anglesey
Richard 11 b Anglesey
Ellen 9 b Anglesey
William 6 b Merionethshire
Jane 4 b Merionethshire
Elizth 1 b Anglesey
Residing at Tai Gwaith Glo, Tref-Draeth ( Anglesey) Bangor, Caernarvonshire
Census Ref RG11/5574/104/4

EDIT in 1891 Hugh Griffith 46 occ Agricultural Labourer b Llanedwen, Anglesey
Elizabeth 48 b Trefdraeth, Anglesey
Elizabeth 11 b Llangadwaladr, Anglesey
Hugh T 8 b Trefdraeth, Anglesey
Residing at Glantraeth Bach, Bethel Village, Trefdraeth, Bangor, Caernarvonshire
Census Ref RG12/4669/99/21
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 February 15 05:04 GMT (UK) »
     I now know that Richard H Williams had a brother named William Williams, so possibly he could be the Wm Williams on Elizabeth's death certificate ??   I'm told that there may be a sister 'Elizabeth' and a Blodwen, or just the 1 sister named 'Elizabeth Blodwen'!

It does look a reasonable possibility to be the right family as the siblings living with Richard Hugh in the next census were William 9 and Lizzie 7

There is a marriage on FreeBMD of Elizabeth Griffith to Richard Williams or Shadrach Williams - March Qtr 1899  Bangor    11b   597  that looks a possible    

Keyboard post re Elizabeth looks good and this looks a possibility for Richard William in 1881  Living at Penrargae, Llanbeulan, Anglesey.  Try looking up Richard Hugh Williams in Anglesey in the 1911 living with his Williams grandparents 

Richard Williams 30 Llandrygarn, Anglesey  Ag Lab
Jane Williams 28  Llandrygarn, Anglesey
Richard Williams 4 Llandrygarn, Anglesey
Hugh Williams    2 Llandrygarn, Anglesey
Elizabeth Williams  10 months   Llantrisant, Anglesey

Kay

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 February 15 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I managed to find the 1899 marriage on http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/ which was to Shadrach Williams.

Unfortunately, it is not the right person. They appear on the subsequent censuses but Elizabeth was born c1872.

David

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 February 15 12:19 GMT (UK) »
The other woman listed at the time of the marriage of Shadrach Williams and Elizabeth Griffith was an Eliza Griffiths. I wonder if Elizabeth shortened her name  :-\

Kay

Edit - The North Wales BMD site does confirm that the Richard Hugh Williams born Sep Qtr 1899 Bangor 11b 441 had a  mother's maiden name of Griffiths, but the spelling  can easily vary

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 February 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Given Keyboard's 1881 and 1891,could this be Elizabeth and family in 1901?

RG13/5276/121/6

Regards
Roger

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 February 15 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I think so and they are the family included my first post.  It is possible the couple did not marry at all.  I don't think Elizabeth would have shortened her name to Eliza when she uses Elizabeth in the census  :-\

Just a thought - I think Elizabeth's second husband Owen Price may have been born in 1874 approx based on a death in 1938  Merioneth North, Merionethshire in the same district as Elizabeth Griffith/Williams/Price died in 1961.

Mandy says that Owen is listed as a shoemaker on his wife's death cert and in the 1901 census there was an Owen Pryce  age 26 a shoemaker living a few doors away from Richard and Elizabeth Williams and son Richard Hugh in Hermon Llacheynfarwydd.   Owen was listed as born 1875 Trefdraeth, Anglesey, Wales and was living with his parents.   He is still unmarried in 1911.  Seems a possible second husband as he is the only Owen Pr(y/i)ce shoemaker that I can see on the 1901 census.

Kay