Author Topic: Do you know Goole?  (Read 7618 times)

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do you know Goole?
« on: Saturday 14 February 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone explain what the abbreviations stand for next to Goole (Goo) in the first pic?

My ancestor lived in one of 2 cottages, seemingly between 11 and 13 Hook Road.

This looks like it might be the place, they don't look like cottages though. Does anyone know how old those buildings are? The layout looks similar in the old pics below, with I think Victoria pub in the foreground.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.703738,-0.864832,3a,75y,331.48h,82.94t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scsrwx94xae1SKcR_vIdlig!2e0!6m1!1e1

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know Goole?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 February 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, In the top picture where the Victoria hotel ends there is a little street, with a couple of "cottage" type houses but that is called "Spring Gardens",
I'll have a search around and get back in touch, are you in a hurry? I may be going that way this week sometime.

Frank.

ADDED The "O" may be for "Ouse street"
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 February 15 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean the image of the place names?

I don't see "Goo" -

I see "St.Geo.H.Sq" , which is "St. George, Hanover Square".  Volume 1a

(St. George is a part of London)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 February 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I was about to say the same as Rena, but also to add that what looks like an "O" is actually a zero - this is an extract from the GRO death indexes, and the heading at the top indicates that this is the age at death.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 February 15 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean the image of the place names?

I don't see "Goo" -

I see "St.Geo.H.Sq" , which is "St. George, Hanover Square".  Volume 1a

(St. George is a part of London)

Yes, I agree, just enlarged it and it's "Geo"

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 February 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
No, no hurry! It would be nice to think it's the same dwellings as they lived in, but as the address is from 1901 I imagine they've been bulldozed. The Victoria is 5 Hook Road I think and the business on the end is 17 so I guess it was between the two although the position might be completely different now. Is the other side the river? It looks nice on google maps anyway, but I guess it's improved a lot since their day.

Re the address, oops, that's a major mistake. Because it was the same name and the right age of death, I saw Goo and assumed it was Goole. I'll have to have another look, thanks.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 February 15 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, just checked your link regarding the little cottages, that area is now called Spring Gardens, I know that because my 2 x Great Grandfather died there in 1919 (number 7) and as far as I am aware it was one of those in the picture, however it may not have been called Spring Gardens in 1901.

Yes the river is on the other side of the bank to the right of the photo's it's a nice place.

Frank.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 February 15 20:44 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk

click on "Find by place" and enter Goole in "Gazetter/NG Ref"
Single click on the modern map that covers lower end of Hook Road. This will display a series of old maps. The earliest map shows "Spring Gardens".Single click on old map of choice.

You can check how the area developed over the years.

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 February 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Now THAT is a fantastic resource, thanks for sharing. Just the other day I was trying to find old maps online with no success.

Just for clarity, this is the 1901 census I got the address from, that's the address I linked to on google maps. I just put the pics there for illustration, I've no idea if they show *my* dwelling. Whether the Hook road houses are completely new and in different places, or whether 1 and 2 Greens Cottages (if that's the right name) were inbetween 11 and 13 Hook Road or somewhere else, I don't know. I don't see a Spring Gardens connection, but I don't know anything about Goole.