Author Topic: John Henderson - where did he come from?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Henderson - where did he come from?
« on: Sunday 15 February 15 02:47 GMT (UK) »
John Henderson my 4th g/grandfather born ?????
He married Marrion McArthur 24 May 1755 at Callander.  There is also another marriage 13 Jun 1755 at Port of Menteith to Maryion (sic) McArthur.  Am confused abut these two marriages ??
He went on to have following children.
James 1756, Margaret 1759, Patrick 1762, Alexander 1764, Janet 1766, John 1769, Agnes 1771, Elizabeth 1773, James 1775-1858 (my line) Catherine 1778.  All born Port of Menteith.
But I cannot find out where John my 4th g/grandfather was born, could be Perthshire..but who knows. Checked the marriages on SP but of course OPR's give no further info re parentage, tried IGI nothing there either, am assuming he was born around the 1730's, then again one should never assume.  Have no idea where to go from here..can anyone help please.
Regards as always..Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John Henderson - where did he come from?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
He married Marrion McArthur 24 May 1755 at Callander.  There is also another marriage 13 Jun 1755 at Port of Menteith to Maryion (sic) McArthur.  Am confused about these two marriages ??

The registers of marriages are, strictly speaking, registers of proclamations or banns, and record the fact that the intending marriage was announced three times from the pulpit so that anyone who had a legitimate objection to the marriage could make it publicly known. The registers may also, but do not necessarily, record the date of the actual wedding ceremony.

If the couple resided in two different parishes, the banns had to be called in both parishes, so you get a double record of a single marriage.

So what this tells you is that at the time of their marriage in 1755 one of the couple lived in the parish of Callander and the other in the parish of Port of Menteith. The original record normally makes it clear which way round it was.

The IGI, Ancestry, GenesReunited, MyHeritage, Geni etc etc can only give correct information if the information exists in the originals. These sites are not repositories of original material, and they are not an alternative to Scotland's People, though some of them are very useful finding aids.  There is a very small number of registers from the mid-18th century that for one reason or another are not in SP, but they are very few. If there is nothing on SP, then you need to be *very* suspicious of any dates that crop up on sites like those; don't believe them until you have traced and viewed the original source document.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Henderson - where did he come from?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 15 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian - Had forgotten (old age) re banns..stupid of me, and as I said had only "assumed" that John Henderson was born around 1730.  Have had no problem with the McArthur line LOL, had a couple of hours on SP and cannot find a birth for John in either Callander or Port of Menteith so lord knows where he came from ?? John Hendersons are pretty thick on the ground in Perthshire, but will keep at it.  Again thankyou.
Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.