Author Topic: Donald and Mary Campbell (nee Bethune) - "Midlothian" (Skye to Aust) 1837  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Madeline Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald and Mary Campbell (nee Bethune) - "Midlothian" (Skye to Aust) 1837
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 March 18 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christina,
It was good to read your post. I think we have reached an impasse on finding the family back in Skye / Scotland. I am sending Bruce Smith a reply I received recently from Skye-Kin Research. I don't have your email address but I am sure Bruce will send it on to you.
Looking forward to meeting you at last on 19 May. I have heard lots about you - all good.
Regards
Your cousin

Madeline (John Campbell descendant)

Offline ChristinaG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 March 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I've just done a bit more searching Madeline, and I'm having trouble with Archibald. I can't find any indication of his death - I know that a lot of children (about 30 according to a letter I found on 'trove') died of dysentery & fever that was noted by Dr. Stewart. In the 'List of Disembarking passenger' digitised by the Nat. Library there is no mention of  child who died under Donald's entry, yet other entries mention 'girl child died...wife died' etc. Have you a citation I could go to?

Offline Madeline Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 March 18 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christina,
You are not alone in being unable to find any official record of Archibald's death. All we have is the inscription on the family tombstone which as you know, says "ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL – Second Son of Donald and Mary, born UIG, Isle of Skye, died on board Midlothian on her passage from Isle of Skye to Sydney, 1937, age 7 years." A couple of years ago I corresponded with Dr James Donaldson the author of that wonderful history "Farewell to the Heather". He went through his not inconsiderable collection of materials and told me "I have no record of Archibald dying at sea. Indeed the records are more confusing and contradictory. For example Reel 4/4821 lists only five children who had died on the voyage. The SMH OF THE 18TH OF December 1837 lists 24 deaths including 18 very young and delicate children .Reel 1287 lists the names of the families who lost a child on the voyage. It includes McLeod ( two children) Mark ( One Child) McNaughton ( Two children) but NO Campbell children)  This would agree with the five children on Reel 4/4821. Some children died early after their arrival in Sydney as the 6 month old child of  Findlay Nicholson did  on 20th December 1837. I have no record of the Campbell losing a child. It is not recorded on their arrival details as is for example the record of the child of the Mark family dying or the two children of the McNaughtons. (Reel 1287) I do not know of any Surgeon Superintendent records for the Midlothian ship. I didn’t find one like I did for the William Nichol ."
Sorry I can't help further on this Christina but if I come across anything, I will let you know.
Regards

Madeline

Offline ChristinaG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Madeline. I will have to be satisfied with that. As a family they were not very good at notifying the authorities!
Now, what citations can you give me for Donald's later farms - is Phoenix Park his or John's?
Getting confused.
I loved reading the newspaper article about the 'Midlothians' being stroppy, you will be pleased to know the tradition is alive and well in my family - my son's name is Campbell, & when I would complain to my mother about things he did as a child she used to say "Well, you would call him Campbell..." He has grown up to be a wonderful and caring adult though.
My email is <christinageeves@yahoo.com.au>, I would be happy for you to use that, as I find this whole RootsWeb thing a bit tedious.
I'm meeting my aunt Janet (Campbell) Smith tomorrow, she says her father Norman didn't talk much about his past, but together we might be able to nut out a few historical facts,

Offline AEnone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 March 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I know this post is years old but I am hoping that someone will see it. Archibald did indeed die aboard the "Midlothian" and the detail is recorded on a headstone in Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney.
Here is the article:

Archibald Campbell (1829-1837)
Archibald was the second child of Donald Campbell and Mary Bethune and was born at Uig on the Isle of Skye in 1829 and baptized on 7 January 1830. In August 1837, aged seven years, he embarked fromUigwith his parents and siblings on the ship "Midlothian" bound for New South Wales. Unfortunately, on the journey he became ill, died, and was buried at sea.
We have found no record of the cause of death. There were at least 28 young children who died on the voyage, some of which were not named. Archibald's name is not in the official records. The only evidence that exists is a poignant epitaph on the family tombstone at Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney. It reads:  "ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL - second son of Donald and Mary Campbell, born at Uig, Isle of Skye, Scotland, died on board the ship Midlothian on her passage from Isle of Skye to Sydney, AD 1837, aged 7 years. Archie was buried at sea."
I hope this reaches those who were inquiring and will be of some value to you.
Sincerely,
AEnone McRae-Clift, Goonellabah, NSW. 2021.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 March 21 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Reading through this, it occurs to me that Bethune is a varient of Beaton, so it might be worth checking Beaton for Mary's origins?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 March 21 17:39 GMT (UK) »
You should specify the Parish (Snizort).  Uig is a relative common place name on Skye (and elsewhere), others might pick the wrong one.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline AEnone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Don M - if you re-read my post, you will see that I am quoting directly from an article, thus it was not up to me to assume to which Uig they were referring.

I have been a genealogist for 62 years and as much of my research has been done on Scottish ancestors, I am well aware of the geography of Scotland. I am also a very particular perfectionist and deplore the current trend of "if it's is fairly close to the date and it looks good, then post it!" The inconsistencies and outright errors that are being posted on ALL sites these days make me disgusted. as they lead novices astray and down entirely the wrong paths.

When you read notes such as"This was a very large family of thirteen children, the last of which was born when their father was 103 and their mother was 91", I am lost for words!! Don't people stop to do the sums?.....and do they know anything at all about human biology??

Archibald's line is not my own - I just came across him while documenting all of the McLeod families who came out on the "Midlothian. " I am descended from Donald the wheelwright and his wife Catherine.
Cheers,
Ænone.