Author Topic: James BRUCE - Aikie Brae  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James BRUCE - Aikie Brae
« on: Sunday 15 February 15 06:32 GMT (UK) »
I have an interest in the family of James BRUCE and wife Jean CASSIE who appear to have lived at Aikie Brae near Old Deer.  They had a child, Richard BRUCE, in 1807.  This Richard BRUCE may be my ancestor - after decades of unsuccessful searches this is the closest birth entry I have found for a Richard BRUCE born Scotland.  I am hoping to find out more about the family in order to confirm a connection, or eliminate it. 

Richard BRUCE enlisted in the 11th Devonshire guards at Paisley, had a family with Maria PARKINSON of Derriaghy, Ireland.  Travelled widely with the regiment and upon discharge settled in South Australia.  There are very few clues to his parentage.  HAMILTON has been passed down as a family name. 

I'm wondering if there are any clues about the family on headstones in local graveyards. 

I'd appreciate any guidance please.  J

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James BRUCE - Aikie Brae
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 15 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if there are any clues about the family on headstones in local graveyards. 

Try http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 15 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  It did not lead to anything specific for my search but it looks like a valuable tool.   I noticed it had inscriptions from New Deer but not from Old Deer, which suggests that Old Deer hasn't been transcribed or perhaps there is nothing there.  Obviously I have more exploring to do!    Jennifer

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  It did not lead to anything specific for my search but it looks like a valuable tool.   I noticed it had inscriptions from New Deer but not from Old Deer, which suggests that Old Deer hasn't been transcribed or perhaps there is nothing there.  Obviously I have more exploring to do!    Jennifer
Almost certainly it has yet to be transcribed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.