Author Topic: Electoral Rolls for Kent.....  (Read 2149 times)

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electoral Rolls for Kent.....
« on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are Electoral Rolls online for Kent, similar to the ones they have on ancestry for Surrey.  I am trying to trace my great uncle, who was Ralph Percy Whitney.  He left Oxted School in Surrey in 1939 when he was 59.  He next appears in Goudhurst, Kent, in 1950, living in North Road.  He died the following year, at that address.  Someone in Goudhurst has checked the rolls for me and he only lived there for around a year and doesn't appear in Goudhurst before that.

Ralph Percy was a Headmaster, so I wondered also, if there are any websites where Headmasters are listed between 1939 and 1950.  I noticed a link on the Kent resources, but it wouldn't work when I tried to open it.

Thanks, Diana
Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls for Kent.....
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 15 17:50 GMT (UK) »

Have you tried Surrey History centre for School records, did he retire in 1939
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01erc/

Don't forget that there were no electoral registers during WW2
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls for Kent.....
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 February 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie, yes I was at Surrey records office a couple of years ago and I got a copy of the school log for the time he was at Wotton School, near Dorking, but I asked about a school log for the time he was at Oxted School and they said there wasn't one, only a punishment book, in which his name appeared up until 1938/9, so that was how we knew he had left there, but I don't know if he retired or not.  I know it was usually 65 in those days - I think.

Ralph Percy disappears from the Surrey rolls in 1939, so I think he must have gone to Kent then.

Yes, I did know that there were no Electoral Rolls for the war years, from past experience, thanks Rosie.

Diana

Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.