Author Topic: The McGOWANS of Kincardine-by-Doune  (Read 5531 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The McGOWANS of Kincardine-by-Doune
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
You might want to add Blair Drummond to your list of places -  it was Henry Home, Lord Kames of Blair Drummond who had the moss (which was part of his estate) drained in the late 1700's.

Blair Drummond is now-a-days mostly known for it's Safari Park, but also has the 'ancestral pile' right in the middle of the estate.

On part of the estate, there is a tiny old churchyard (sometimes known as Kincardine-on-Menteith as well as Blair Drummond) and there are (or were) a few McGowan's listed on gravestones there. The MI's are contained in 'Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions, South Perthshire'.

I have a copy of the above publication and there are 4 McGowan MI's listed:

George McGowan, late farmer in Coldoch, died 24th October 1795 age 66 and on the same stone, George McGowan, writer in Stirling, died 8th May 1836 age 35 (probably his son).

1857   George McGowan, late farmer in Balenton died 9th July 1845 age 80 and his wife Janet Finlayson died 25th October 1845 age 80.

Robert McGowan died 23rd December 1846 age 85 and his wife Margaret McKinlay died 19th March 1837 age 73.

R. M.   I. (or J.) D. 1808
Robert McGowan, late tenant Coldoch died 23rd August 1806 age 51
His widow Jean Dawson died 26th March, interred 30th March 1840
Jane McGowan or Dow died 1st January 1881 age 78 (probably their daughter, married name Dow)

I know these are all after you ancestors left Scotland, but maybe some of these are the ones left behind?

Anne  :)

Offline DaughteredOut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 12:49 GMT (UK) »
thank you Anne.  i do have a number of some of those names in my line.  there seems to be a distinct break between the name McGOWAN and McGOUN.  whether just time, bad feelings, or a different family entirely, currently remains a mystery.

and i have to say i was transfixed by your graphic tree.
Kincardine-by-Doune, Perthshire, Scotland:  McGOWAN,  CLARK, etc.
England:  REYNOLDS, etc.

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 May 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have McGowan ancestors from Kincardine by Doune/aka Kincardine in Menteith - some in Blair Drummond itself which is of course in that parish. I've traced back to John McGowan born 1635. His will is in the Dunblane Commissary Commissary Court.
I wouldn't get hung up on the different spellings of the name - it very much depended on what the Clerk chose to write down!  You might be interested in this

"McGowan is a Scottish and Irish Patronymic name from the Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Gobhann (Scottish) and MacGabhann (Irish) both from occupational nicknames for the village smith. It is also occasionally derived in Scotland from MacOwein , a patronymic form of the given name Owen or Ewen. Variations include McGowing, McGowen, McGoune, Magowan, McAgown, McEgown, McIroine , and Gowans."

Also , this http://www.chuckspeed.com/balquhidder/history/The%20Moss%20Lairds.htm   exp[lains why it was called Blair Drummond Moss.
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump