Author Topic: New Brighton Tower football club  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Backintime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Brighton Tower football club
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wilcoxon.  The Liverpool Mercury is a mine of information, as are the other local and regional newspapers held at the British Library which I have been consulting.

What I am hoping my original post will do is to attract anyone whose ancestor had a connection with the Club and who might have personal papers which could provide further information not generally available from archives and libraries.

Offline Cato56

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
Spent a lot of time watching the Rakers, both home and away in the sixties and early seventies. Still have a lot of the match programmes somewhere. If I can be of any help then please let me know

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Cato56! ;D

If you read the posts, you will see that the original poster is interested in New Brighton Tower FC, and not New Brighton FC (known as The Rakers)!

New Brighton Tower football club was formed during the summer of 1897 but only lasted until 1901 when the directors wound it up. This is the period I am currently researching.
The later New Brighton club (The Rakers) was formed in 1921 but had no connection at all with the earlier Tower club.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Backintime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
While KGarrad is correct that my current project relates to New Brighton Tower (1897-1901), I am also shortly to begin research on The Rakers after 1951 until their demise in 1983. Cato56's kind offer of help with this later club is therefore prescient and one that I may wish to take up. Is there a way we could correspond offsite so not to bore other readers?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 08:52 BST (UK) »
Use the Personal Message system!
(Or just use it to exchange email addresses)

Click on the document page icon, underneath the username and avatar.
It's green if the user is online; white if the user is offline.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
formed in 1896 - not 1897 ....and had a capacity gate of 80,000
a passage from Wiki - unless Wiki have it wrong ??
New Brighton Tower F.C. was a short-lived English football club based in New Brighton, Merseyside. Established in 1896, the club spent three seasons in the Football League before folding in 1901. They played at the 80,000-capacity Tower Athletic Ground.

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Backintime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks KGarrard. I shall do that.  Garstonite (and Wikipedia) are correct that New Brighton Tower was formed in 1896 when they were incorporated as a Limited Company. But they did not have any players or become a member of the Football Association until 1897. Until then, they could not carry out the activity for which they were set up. This is all part of a much more interesting story.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
having read that Wiki article I was amazed to see that to compete with Blackpool - New Brighton built the Tower and then a Football ground with a capacity of 80,000 - only to have 1,000 people going to the games - that was the financial reason they closed the ground ....how sad ...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford