Author Topic: Absalom WINTER, born c1841 Bentley, Hampshire.  (Read 1090 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Absalom WINTER, born c1841 Bentley, Hampshire.
« on: Sunday 15 February 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

On 09/12/1872 Absalom WINTER married 26 year old Fanny RALPH in the Parish of St. Peter, Paddington.   He was a soldier in the 10th Hussars and according to the 1871 Census (familysearch) he was probably stationed at Heston, Isleworth, Middlesex.

I can find no details relating to this couple after 1872.  Possibly he may have been posted abroad and even died overseas.   Is anyone able to help please?

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline Relatively Northern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Absalom WINTER, born c1841 Bentley, Hampshire.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi BAC3

I have found an Absalom Winter death record for Muttra, Bengal in 1873. I found this by looking up the regimental movements at the time and it says they moved between England and India at the time you say they disappear from the British Census Returns. The details are shown below

Pte Absalom Winter of 10th Royal Hussars  died  3 Nov 1873, buried 4 Nov 1873 Muttra, Bengal
born cir 1839. Cause of death: Paralysis, Age: 34

Moderator comment: edited for content.  It is against RootsChat policy to cut and paste information from commercial subscription indexes and databases.  Please see the posting guidelines and the copyright policy

Hope this helps you move on with your research.

Kind regards

Relatively Northern
Wakenshaw, Forbes, Constant. Lyon, Hindle, Rumney, Rishworth, Halliwell, McAllister, Reed, Beaton, Pittuck, Tallack, Paterson, Stevenson, Sim, Thom, Strachan, Andrew, Allan, Taylor, Skelton, Wellburn, Storm, McLean, Dewar, O'Donohoe
Banffshire, Midlothian, Lanarkshire, Yorkshire, Northumberland, Ireland

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 15 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Relatively Northern,

Thank you so much for that detail.

I understood the 10th Hussars had gone to Afghanistan, but not to Bengal, and very much later to the Sudan.   I am very grateful.   Of course that leaves the question of his wife, Fanny.   She is certainly not showing on Ancestry, LDS or FreeCEN.   I wonder if she was posted with him to Bengal and then re-married out there?

However, the important aspect is Absalom WINTER and you have solved that problem for me.

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 15 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Relatively Northern,

I am slightly bemused because the details in your post have been altered, for instance, cause of death "Paralysis" and the citations are all missing!!! ???

Please let me know what has happened.

For now,

BAC3

Offline Relatively Northern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 February 15 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi BAC3

I have amended the original message. It certainly wasn't the one I posted yesterday so I hope I wasn't breaking any rules. It seems odd that they would removed the details since it will help others.

Kind regards

Laura
Wakenshaw, Forbes, Constant. Lyon, Hindle, Rumney, Rishworth, Halliwell, McAllister, Reed, Beaton, Pittuck, Tallack, Paterson, Stevenson, Sim, Thom, Strachan, Andrew, Allan, Taylor, Skelton, Wellburn, Storm, McLean, Dewar, O'Donohoe
Banffshire, Midlothian, Lanarkshire, Yorkshire, Northumberland, Ireland

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 February 15 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Laura,

If you have broken any rules, which I cannot understand, it would be helpful if the "Moderator" added some explanation for future guidance.

Once again my thanks for your invaluable information.

For now,

Tony