Author Topic: Carter & Read Families  (Read 2048 times)

Offline NEJ21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carter & Read Families
« on: Monday 16 February 15 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about two unconnected families, the Carter Family and the Read family.

Ewen Carter was probably born/baptised c.1747, in or near Woodstock and, as a complete 'shot in the dark', I have wondered whether his mother may have belonged to one of the Ewen/Ewin families that apparently lived not too far away at about that time.  My earliest reference to Ewen concerns his apprenticeship, which was recorded - 29 Aug. 1759 to Thomas Hanks, Cordwainer, of New Woodstock. 

Jane Read (c.1700) married John Defell/Duffield in Reading, Berks. on the 9th Oct. 1726.  However, no record of Jane’s baptism or parentage is recorded in the available Berkshire transcriptions.   John and Jane named their third son Florio so it could be faintly possible that she was the daughter of the Florio Read, who was baptised at South Hinksey, Berks.(now Oxon.) on 7th October 1670.  Florio Read's parents were recorded as Johanis & Elizabetha but, since there do not seem to be any other Read baptisms for this parish at around that time, it is possible that the family may have come from another Oxfordshire parish.

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Carter & Read Families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 February 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
NEJ21 -

Jane Read (c.1700) married John Defell/Duffield in Reading, Berks. on the 9th Oct. 1726.  However, no record of Jane’s baptism or parentage is recorded in the available Berkshire transcriptions.   John and Jane named their third son Florio so it could be faintly possible that she was the daughter of the Florio Read, who was baptised at South Hinksey, Berks.(now Oxon.) on 7th October 1670.  Florio Read's parents were recorded as Johanis & Elizabetha but, since there do not seem to be any other Read baptisms for this parish at around that time, it is possible that the family may have come from another Oxfordshire parish.

I recommend having a search carried out in the Oxfordshire Family History Society's county-wide baptism index.   See Surname Search Services on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk

Offline NEJ21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Wendy

I have picked up a possible lead in Berkshire, since posting my message about Jane Read, but as I have other possible connections in Oxfordshire, I will bear your suggestion in mind.

NEJP

Offline jphall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Hi I am John Hall, my mothers family line were Duffells.

We believe in the family somewhere there was Italian/Sardinian family.

Did you find information on Jane Reed (1700c) who married John Duffell.
I have drawn a blank and with the name Florio it may be my missing link.

Hope you can help me

Best wishes

John