Author Topic: Robinson of Anneville  (Read 4765 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Robinson of Anneville
« on: Monday 16 February 15 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Robinson of Anneville married Jemima Newcomen in 1839.
I assume he was a son of William Robinson esq. of Anneville House.
Does anyone know anything about that family?
It's the later generations I'm interested in: I think they had four sons, but the information that came down to me is very scant.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson of Anneville
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 February 15 21:56 GMT (UK) »
William's wife was Anne she died 1830

http://members.iinet.net.au/~nickred/newspaper/np_abst73.htm

Unfortunately it doesn't name her children.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Aye, that's the trouble.

To be honest, I do know about the daughters of Thomas & Jemima; it's the sons who are elusive.
I think:
William George, b. 1841
Albert Brabazon, b. 1843
Thomas, b. 1844
John C., b. 1850
Jemima may be the one whose death was registered in Dublin North in 1895, but she would have been 81 or 82, not 84 as given.  She was with her daughter & son-in-law on the IoM in 1891, and could possibly have gone to Canada with them.  Her husband had d. by 1889 -- one would think the middle name Fortner would be a useful clue (unless, of course, that's a misspelling).
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Lets see what we have here.
Thomas and Jamima married in 1839. Where?
You have the names of their daughters and think the men listed above are their sons.
Where were these children born? How did you come by these names?

From what I've read William Robinson Esq sold Anneville in 1838 so if he was Thomas' father that may be the end of the families assoccation with Westmeath.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
My source was handwritten notes by Jem's nephew Brabazon Pottinger (d. 1913), a typescript copy of which was deposited with the Society of Genealogists in 1950.  It's not altogether accurate, and I don't believe mentions any places.  The marriage was in early Dec. 1839, and my first guess would be Monkstown where the Newcomens were living by then.  The children could have been b. in Co. Galway: is there a place called Willmount there?
Sorry it's so little to go on, but if I knew more I wouldn't be asking!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 16:46 GMT (UK) »
It makes more sense now, I thought you were being very vague but now I see why.
You will need Parish Records to find anything I think as nothing looks likely so far on the free sites. I assume they were not RC so you may need to use the subscription site RootsIreland, but I'll do a bit more digging around later.

This could be Willmount http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=779

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 18:23 GMT (UK) »

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 18:40 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant, Gaffy!  Unusually clear images by the standards of the Trove, too.
Many thank to you and Sinann.  Yes, they were almost certainly C of I.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Had a basic search on RootsIreland (I don't have a sub) but it didn't look good.

This may be way off but there is a entry in the Calendar of Wills for a Jamimia Robinson in 1891, I know she's in the Census on the IOM that year so it's a very long shot.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ5C-2YS

This one, the 1895 death you mention earlier I'd say, has a IOM connection a Harriette Hoops
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ5Z-TRT, if this is her she was already a widow.