Author Topic: Any ideas on this Berkshire place name please?  (Read 8764 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Any ideas on this Berkshire place name please?
« on: Monday 16 February 15 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help identify the Berkshire place name on the attached screenshot please?  Its taken from the 1851 Census at Brize Norton, Oxfordshire and I can't quite work out what it may be to try and find the associated parish.  The place could possibly now be in Oxfordshire.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on this Berkshire place name please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 February 15 23:57 GMT (UK) »
May just have answered my own question. ;D  Does anyone know whether Bourton, originally part of the parish of Shrivenham, was also known as Bourton on (the) Hill please? 

I've not managed to find anything on google but it would tie in with information on an ancestry tree about the person's place of birth but I'd like a bit more evidence to confirm that she was from Bourton, Berkshire rather than just a tree. :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I always believed that Bourton on the Hill was in Gloucestershire?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes Bourton on the Hill is Gloucestershire, but this does specifically say Berkshire and Brize Norton is down near the southern county border with Berkshire, while Bourton on the Hill, Gloucestershire is near Moreton in Marsh and therefore near the northern Oxfordshire border so its unlikely they would have muddled the county name that much (I hope) ::).  That confused me initially too as I thought it did look like Bourton, but I was digging about and found an ancestry tree saying she was baptised in Shrivenham.  When I was looking at my Shrivenham transcripts I found some people listed as being from the hamlet of Bourton so I'm wondering if Bourton was also known as Bourton on the Hill. :-\

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Nicola, is the person concerned traceable in the 1861 census, to compare, if not could you supply their name please?

Keyboard86

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Nicola, I see the person concerned in 1851 is a Sarah Hart b c 1773 occ Mid Wife on 1851 HO107/1731/371/19

Hopefully someone can find our further information on her for you?!

Keyboard86

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86, yes you are correct that this is Sarah Hart but I'm only in need of confirmation that the village of Burton was also known as Burton on Hill, which is why  I didn't post her name. ;) I have all the Faringdon area transcripts and as her husband was baptized in Langford which is nearby, I suspect she is the one baptized in Shrivenham.

I don't need any other info, which again Is why I didn't elaborate further in ny original post so as to avoid anyone wasting their time. ;D

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 07:41 GMT (UK) »
"is the person concerned traceable in the 1861 census, to compare"

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
"is the person concerned traceable in the 1861 census, to compare"

Imber

No she was deceased at the time probate of her husband's Will was granted in Jan 1858.  It specifically says this in the probate which was granted to the residual legatees.