Author Topic: McCall - Smith  (Read 2762 times)

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCall - Smith
« on: Tuesday 17 February 15 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I have come to a dead end with this one, Owen McCall and Margaret Smith are listed as his parents on my GGF (John McCall) death cert, but have been unable to find anything on them. No marriage or death cert. I have been unable to find any other children born to this couple apart from my GGF.My GGF's place of residence on his marriage cert is listed as Kildrum.  Will I just give up or is there somewhere else I could look? Any help would be appreciated. My GGF was married in the RC church but I don't know if his parents were RC or not.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCall - Smith
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Kildrum might be the parish of Kildrumsherdan. You could check their parish records, depending on how far back they go.

Church of Ireland records for Ashfield start in 1821 and for Kilsherdoney in 1796. RC in 1803. These are mostly on-line on the rootsireland site (subscription) and there are also copies of them all in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast.
Elwyn

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   You state that your GGfather's residence was Kildrum. There are several areas throughout Ireland called Kildrum but none in Co. Cavan as far as I am aware other than the possibility of the one mentioned by Elwyn. Where did you get the information for Co. Cavan?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline 777777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I have come to a dead end with this one, Owen McCall and Margaret Smith are listed as his parents on my GGF (John McCall) death cert, but have been unable to find anything on them. No marriage or death cert. I have been unable to find any other children born to this couple apart from my GGF.My GGF's place of residence on his marriage cert is listed as Kildrum.  Will I just give up or is there somewhere else I could look? Any help would be appreciated. My GGF was married in the RC church but I don't know if his parents were RC or not.

Have you tried the spelling 'McCaul'? The two were used interchangeably in Cavan for quite some time. Also try John for Owen.

As others have said, there is no townland called Kildrum in Co. Cavan, however McCall and Smith are very common names up there. What other info do you have so far on these McCalls and Smiths, and do you have any source for 'Kildrum' other than the marriage cert? Is the handwriting difficult to decipher? It's also possible he was living elsewhere at the time of marriage, having gone to a different county to find work.

In what year and to whom was your GGF's marriage? If you give a little more info I might be able to help, I have plenty of McCauls and Smiths in Cavan on my tree (not direct ancestors but by marriage) so there might be some connection.

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Kildrum might be the parish of Kildrumsherdan. You could check their parish records, depending on how far back they go.

Church of Ireland records for Ashfield start in 1821 and for Kilsherdoney in 1796. RC in 1803. These are mostly on-line on the rootsireland site (subscription) and there are also copies of them all in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast.

Thanks for the reply Elwyn, I apologise, I listed the parish as Kildrum, it isn't it's Kilduff. I I have checked the parish records but didn't have any luck.

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   You state that your GGfather's residence was Kildrum. There are several areas throughout Ireland called Kildrum but none in Co. Cavan as far as I am aware other than the possibility of the one mentioned by Elwyn. Where did you get the information for Co. Cavan?

Regards

Thanks for the reply Kingskerswell, Apologies K, as above I got the parishes mixed up, it's Kilduff not Kildrum.I got the info from his marriage cert, which I applied to the GRO for. It states he was married in Belturbet Co. Cavan and his place of residence Kildrum.

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 15:30 GMT (UK) »

Have you tried the spelling 'McCaul'? The two were used interchangeably in Cavan for quite some time. Also try John for Owen.

As others have said, there is no townland called Kildrum in Co. Cavan, however McCall and Smith are very common names up there. What other info do you have so far on these McCalls and Smiths, and do you have any source for 'Kildrum' other than the marriage cert? Is the handwriting difficult to decipher? It's also possible he was living elsewhere at the time of marriage, having gone to a different county to find work.

In what year and to whom was your GGF's marriage? If you give a little more info I might be able to help, I have plenty of McCauls and Smiths in Cavan on my tree (not direct ancestors but by marriage) so there might be some connection.

Thanks Eilis for your reply, I do have quite a bit of information on the McCall side. I did try all the variations of McCall and had varied success with my GGF and his wife, found some but not all of the siblings. It's his parents I can't find any record of? The marriage took place in 1882, there is one Owen Smith listed in the Griffiths Valuation for Cavan, but the date is 1825, I can't find any connection to a Margt Smith, without any proof I can't verify if this is the one I'm looking for. I haven't found any birth certs for any other siblings only a marriage cert for my GGF. It lists his father as alive in his marriage cert. My GGF after his marriage is listed in a few parishes in Cavan, ie. Drumlane, Annagh.

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Eilis for your reply, As above the parish is Kilduff, apologies,I do have quite a bit of information on the McCall side. I did try all the variations of McCall and had varied success with my GGF and his wife, found some but not all of the siblings. It's his parents I can't find any record of? The marriage took place in 1882, there is one Owen Smith listed in the Griffiths Valuation for Cavan, but the date is 1825, I can't find any connection to a Margt Smith, without any proof I can't verify if this is the one I'm looking for. I haven't found any birth certs for any other siblings only a marriage cert for my GGF. It lists his father as alive in his marriage cert. My GGF after his marriage is listed in a few parishes in Cavan, ie. Drumlane, Annagh.