Author Topic: Origin of The Hunters of Blackness and Balskellie  (Read 3092 times)

Offline brian40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Origin of The Hunters of Blackness and Balskellie
« on: Tuesday 17 February 15 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have been researching this family. There are contradictions from sources. One source says the  family are said to come from the land of 'Dod' to Dundee the other says they were from Monifieth, the estate of Burnside and went to Forfar and renamed Dod as Burnside. David Hunter of Burnside had a younger brother( name not known) who had a son named David, a Merchant Burgess of Dundee who founded the 'Blackness' 'cadet' family line. His son Alexander born in 1710 acquired the Blackness estate in Dundee in 1743. However I cannot find the answer to my second question that is which Hunter acquired the Balskellie estate in the parish of Barry and when? I have more information on this 'cadet' family up to the 1960s, not complete but might help anyone interested. many thanks for any help received. Krs Brian.   

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of The Hunters of Blackness and Balskellie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 February 15 09:41 GMT (UK) »
David Hunter of Burnside had a younger brother( name not known) who had a son named David

National Records Scotland have mention of a 1689 Bond by Dr Andrew Lamb of Balskellie to a Robert Hunter of Baldovie. Decrees and adjudications in 1690 and 1691 then make mention of a David Hunter of Burnsyde and William Lamb, son of deceased Dr Andrew Lamb, in respect of Balskellie. Signature of the lands of Balskellie was granted to David in July 1691.

Could Robert have possibly been the 'younger brother name not known' of David snr and also the father of David jnr? If so, perhaps he too, like Dr Andrew Lamb, had died before the transaction took place.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
the other says they were from Monifieth, the estate of Burnside and went to Forfar and renamed Dod as Burnside.

Well, there is still a farm called Mid Dod next to Burnside, so that part sounds plausible.
See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NO4949
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline brian40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 February 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
hello Scotmum and Forfarian,
Yes I had the map and located burnside and Dod -thank you. In connection with Balskelly, Dr Lamb is mentioned in GD45/16/1440 Dr Andrew Lamb 1690 and GD45/16/1477:  Financial statement of the intromissions of Alexander Hunter (David)and his father with the rents of the estate of Balskelly 1725-1739.
Note endorsed that the heir of Dr. Lamb has declared the legal reversions on the said estate expired
5 Jun 1740. so thanks for your help I will need to chase down Robert