Author Topic: DUFTON DIARY-1869-1899  (Read 7417 times)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DUFTON DIARY-1869-1899
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Willgen,

I would be very interested to read what is said about:

John ELLWOOD
Nancy ELLWOOD
Margaret ELLWOOD

Thanks very much in advance,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline willgen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian
This is what I've got:-
John Ellwood,Dufton Hall died on Wed. am the 18th Sept. 1872, aged 77 years gone Christmas day.
John Ellwood & Jane Hind both of Dufton married on Brough Hill, Sat. 3rd Oct. 1874.
Died at Dufton 20th Oct 1876 aged 72 yrs, Nancy wife of the late John Ellwood.
Died at Knock on 3rd June 1893 Margaret widow of the late John Ellwood. Aged 73 years.
Nancy only daughter of the late John Ellwood,Dufton aged 14 years on 3rd Feb 1895.
George Forbes & Nancy Ellwood married at Dufton church on the 8th Dec.1898 & their first child born on the 15th.
Regards, Willgen
FLEMING-Coniston; Dufton;Alston
DALTON-Dufton;Penrith; York/Toronto,Canada
DIXON-Dufton.
TRATHEN-Redruth;Coniston;Nenthead.
HATTON-Stockport;Manchester;Liverpool
WILLIAMS-Aberystwith;Liverpool

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much!

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline mcmeerkat2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, My interest is in the Liddle & Blenkarn family. I was wondering if there was any mention of the Dooley's, Mary Liddle's married name, and anything about the Blenkarn's in your diary. What an amazing resource. Many thanks.

Offline robsontom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 January 19 08:45 GMT (UK) »
i wonder if there is any reference to robson.  Thomas's daughter, i think, married into chambers, my gt grandfather was Matthew Robson, of green howe farm.  kind thanks.  tom robson

Offline willgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 January 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom
Items from the Diary :-
Mrs Robson of Greenhow died 21st June 1875 aged 85 years;Robsons 2nd sale at Greenhow 17th Feby 1876; Mathew Robson and Mary Sissons married 25th April 1877; John Chambers and Mathew Robson 1st sale 1st Feby 1884; John Chambers and Mathew Robson 2nd sale on 5th March 1884 and left on the 6th for Warwickshire.
There are refs to the following Chambers:- Edward;John;Mary;Thomas. Let me know which,if any, are of interest.
As Mathew Robson married a Sissons are you interested in the entries for them?
Regards W.
DIXON-Dufton.

Offline robsontom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 January 19 01:48 GMT (UK) »
sir,

what amazing record, I cant thank you enough.  He obviously kept copious records.

I was always given to understand that farming suffered badly, which resulted i the sale.  But I guess we will never know.  and I presume that details of "Mrs. Robson" and husband Thomas, death apart, would have lived most of their lives before he was writing so there would be scant if any other detail, which is sad ( I have photos tho :) )

two land sales is intreguing, so i would guess, and it is a guess, that the "mrs" Chambers was Thomas's daughter, sister to Matthew ( My Gt. Grandfather)  Matthew , btw, married Sarah Sisson not Mary, unless he was a bigamist.  they ended up in Kent where he died, she then went to live with her eldest daughter who had, by then, married a Deighton and, I was given to understand from my grandfather, her father had been the HM at Dufton school, ( Greenway Deighton).  I still have Matthews pocket watch which has been passed down, and his son, my grandfather , sat with me as a boy to share the history, of the Robsons and Sissons, most of whom emigrated to Australia aroud the same time.  I have a few dozen photos, many of whom I can name, many I cant.

Please, yes detail on the Sissons would be fabulous.  I do know, of course, that one of the girls went on to mother Cecil Beaton, who spent his life denying that his grandfather had been a Temple Sowerby blacksmith.

Chambers too as I know nothing of this family but i do see that theys till are int he village and still farmers.

very kind regards and again Huge thanks for your effort

Tom Robson

Offline willgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 January 19 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom
Will have a look for entries for Sissons and Chambers & send them on in a day or so.
In my experience of farm sales I believe that the normal procedure would be to have a sale of 'live stock' -all the animals on the farm on one day. At a later date all the equipment would be sold also possibly the land & buildings, if auctioned (not sold by private treaty). They may of course have been tenants in which case the second sale would have just been equipment.
William Fleming was a man who took a great interest in the area using his notebook for his trips round the various mines he was responsible for as well as recording any happenings of interest in Dufton village.
Have you ever been to Dufton?
Will be in touch , W.
DIXON-Dufton.

Offline robsontom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 January 19 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I visited the village some 35 yrs ago, and was able to see the church and the farmhouse GreenHow, but it was a logn time ago.  I now live overseas but plan to revisit this or next year.

I do know they OWNED the farm,.  seems the old boy was in with the in corwd too, as they pointed him first to warwickshire and then on to Kent where he was the estate manager.  MAtthews wife appears to have been very "posh" for a farmers wife, Matthew meanwhile, so i am told, never lost his westmoreland style of language and in kent had problems being understood with various expressions he used. 

I tried once or twice to contact the chambers inthe village but with no luck, as I have a lot of those old old photos from pre and just post turn of the century that I was hoping to share with them too.

I dont know anything about the mining, at that time the village was very sedate without any place with info, the church with its lovely pumped organ was the only place ope with any history back then.

Re the sales, that makes sense, as my Brother had a similar series of sales when he sold his farm too, thanks.

So any info is very very welcome , Thank you in advance.