Author Topic: Anderson, Christie, Greig, Traill Information Please  (Read 6734 times)

Offline globatrol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson, Christie, Greig, Traill Information Please
« on: Tuesday 17 February 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

New to this so sorry if I make some mistakes??

Looking for any information on John Anderson born approx 1823 in Fife, most likely St Andrews?
He married Emily Christie 25 January 1851 in St Andrews and died 13 December 1871 in Tasmania, Australia.  He and his wife Emily emigrated to Australia aboard "Fortitude" arriving February 1855 with 5 children. He was a stonemason/builder. I believe his marriage to Emily was his second marriage after the death of his first wife. One of their sons, Arthur Dutch Anderson (b.1871) was my GGF.  I have checked through the 1841 Census records but couldn't find anything conclusive as to John's parent's.

His wife Emily Christie born approx 1827 in Forfashire, was the daughter of Archibald Christie (b. 3 September 1787 in Dunfermline, Fife) and Martha Greig (b. 11 July 1792 Redcastle, Inverkeilor, Angus). Archibald Christie served as a boatman for the Coastguard and was based at Uzon, Auchmithie and Katerline Stations before retiring in 1849.

I have Archibald Christie's parents as James Christie born 16 November 1745, Buckhaven, Fife and Elizabeth Traill born 27 September 1747 in Dysart, Fife. They were married 28 January 1775 in Monimail, Fife. Elizabeth Traill died 7 October 1788 in Dysart, Fife.

I have found a reference to Martha Greig's parents being Robert Greig born approx 1751, Redcastle, Inverkeilor, Angus and Ann Greig nee ? born approx 1755 Inverkeilor, Angus. They were married 26 April 1777 also in Inverkeilor.

James Christie possibly had parents James Christie (b.1721 Wardwestermart, Fife) and Margaret Philp (m. 1744 Wemyss, Fife)with yet another James Christie (b.1680?)and Beatrix Oswald (b.abt1680 Wemyss, Fife) being the next generation above that? Beatrix' parents were possibly Thomas Oswald (b.abt1648 Wemyss, Fife) and Elizabeth Tome (b.abt1640 Wemyss, Fife) married 1669 in Monimail, Fife.

I am sorry if this is a bit too much information or if I haven't laid it out correctly but I figured it may  help you all to know what information I do have??

Secondly I am more than willing to be corrected on anything you feel is incorrect??

Thirdly, I know there are some Forfashire/Angus bits in there but hoping that won't offend the Fife's too much?? Hahaha

Would really appreciate any information on any of these lines but particularly John Anderson as I just have a complete dead end there!

Many thanks
Jennifer

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson, Christie, Greig, Traill Information Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

From what shows for the children born to John Anderson before he married Emily Christie, could this be the christening of daughter Euphemia, with the name of possible first wife for John?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB14-LBM

Monica

Added:

Margaret 1844 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB14-FQS
Fanny 1847 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XB14-8PX
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I am sure you have this 1851 census entry for the family, but just for background here. Everyone showing as born in St Andrews, fifeshire except for mother Emily:

John Anderson 28 stone mason
Emily Anderson 23
Margaret Anderson 7
Fanny Anderson 3
James Anderson 1

Address: Muttos Lane, St Andrews Fife

Monica

Offline globatrol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

That looks to be correct as I have a copy of the arrival record into Tasmania and there are children Margaret and Fanny listed although Euphemia is not? So I assume Fanny Herd must have been first wife.

Thanks also for the census information, definitely the right John Anderson but never seem to get that one step further with his parents names??? It's destroying my calm!!!!Hahaha

Many thanks for the quick response!!

Cheers
Jennifer

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 21:07 GMT (UK) »
This could be the first marriage detail for John, index from the Old Parish Registers (OPRs) in 1845 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT53-K92 This year of 1845 would mean that Margaret was born possibly before they married? The entries on the OPRs would need to be checked for wording etc to try to work this out.

Someone has listed Fanny Herd's date as being on 12 Sep 1849 in St Andrews St Leonards Dunfermline, Fife. Maybe shows on the death/burial OPR entries on the official pay to view site of www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I thought Euphemia may have died young as she didn't show in 1851 with the family and as you say, also not on the shipping manifest details.

Monica

Added: Possible death given for young Euphemia on 24 Jan 1849 in St Andrews St Leonards, Dunfremline, Fife.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Looks like Archibald Christie may have been born Southend, Argyllshire if what is transcribed on the 1851 census is correct?
Living Benholm....
Archibald Christie Head Married Male 64 1787 Superannuate Coast Guard Southend, Argyllshire,
Martha Christie   Wife   Married Female 57 1794   Forfarshire (Angus), Scotland   
Margaret Christie Daughter   Unmarried   Female 22   1829   Craig, Forfarshire (Angus), Scotland   
Margt Rae   Grand Child Female 1 1850   Kinneff, Kincardineshire
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline globatrol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen,

I'll update my notes on Archibald Christie. Some of my information comes from reliable sources and some from sources not so reliable so always willing to be corrected. Thanks for alerting me to that bit of info.

Many thanks
Jennifer

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 21:36 GMT (UK) »
You'll want to have a wee look at Martha and the gang in 1861 - there are links back to St Andrews with some of the new grandchilden being born there and possibly Margaret's husband coming from there. Children with middle names some obvious but some not - middle names always interesting even if it takes years to discover what they stand for  ;D
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
     A bit puzzled by "St Andrews St Leonards Dunfermline, Fife"
     While Dunfermline in West Fife has both St Leonards Parish Church & St Andrew's Erskine Church, I don't think they are connected in any way. (Cue for someone to shoot me down!!)
     St Andrews & St Leonards usually refers to the combined Parishes of St Andrews & St Leonards in the town of St Andrews on the east coast (East Neuk) of Fife. This combined Parish includes some of the surrounding rural area, not just the town itself.
     I would be inclined to think St Andrews rather than Dunfermline especially if other family members were born there. (My birthplace too.) :)
     Good luck with your search.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."