Author Topic: Jacksons of Windrush  (Read 24416 times)

Offline duport

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jacksons of Windrush
« on: Wednesday 18 February 15 17:27 GMT (UK) »
There were stone masons called JACKSON in Windrush since the early 18th century. But I can't find evidence that there was a continuous line, from the same family.
Joseph & Mary Jane JACKSON had children in Windrush from 1706 to 1723. Rowland JACKSON married Mary POULTON in Cirencester in 1723, so he should have been born about 1700, but I can't find his birth. Was he actually a son of Joseph and Mary Jane?
Then in the next generation, Thomas JACKSON was born about 1738, but I can't find where, and there's no suitable gap in the list of Rowland and Mary's children.
Does anyone have any information about the origins of Rowland and Thomas?

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Jacksons of Windrush
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just to let you know that I am carrying out enquiries for you.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline lorlor53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 15 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if these are related to the Jacksons on our tree which are down as coming in 1716 from Hanley Castle. Malvern. Worcestershire.. He was Phillip Jackson

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 15 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laura,
I doubt if these 2 families are related, but I will look out for Phillip whilst transcribing all the JACKSONs
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have checked the St Peter, Windrush microfiche PRs but found them too difficult to read, so I ordered up the actual PR and found the following, commencing in 1675/76:-
Source: Glos Archives (GA) P369 IN 1/1, St Peter, Windrush, PR
Joseph the son of Thomas JACKSON and Susanna his wife was baptised the sixth day of February 1675/76
Benjamin the son of Thomas JACKSON and of Susanna his wife was baptised the twentieth day of December 1679
Susanna the daughter of Thomas JACKSON and Susanna his wife was baptised the third day of February 1682/83
Elizabeth the daughter of Thomas JACKSON and Susanna his wife was baptised October 4th, 1685
Elizabeth the daughter of Thomas JACKSON buried September 21, 1704

Elizabeth the daughter of Joseph JACKSON and Mary his wife baptised December 14, 1706
Joseph son of Joseph JACKSON and Mary his wife baptised March 28, 1708
Richard SIMS and Susanna JACKSON were married 5th day of April, 1708
Benjamin the son of Joseph JACKSON and Mary his wife was baptised August 21, 1709
Hannah the daughter of Benjamin JACKSON and Anne his wife baptised April 18, 1710
John BOWLES of Witney and Mary JACKSON of this parish were married December 9th, 1710

I was unable to continue beyond 1710 due to time constraints, but I shall be back in GA next Saturday and will continuing transcribing.
Kindly let me know what date I should transcribe up to as this is very time consuming.

Victor

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 February 15 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Having received no reply to when you would like to check out the JACKSON family, please find below my latest transcriptions which have been transcribed from the An*****y Gloucestershire PRs.
St Peter, Windrush, Baptisms, PRs:-
Children of Joseph & Mary JACKSON
William JACKSON, November 25th, 1711
William JACKSON, December 11th, 1712
Mary JACKSON, April 1st, 1714
William JACKSON, August 1st, 1716
Susannah JACKSON, April 12th, 1723
Children of Rowland & Mary JACKSON
Thomas JACKSON, August 31st, 1724
Mary JACKSON, July 31st, 1726
Rowland JACKSON, December 1st, 1729
Susannah JACKSON, January 8th, 1729/30
John JACKSON, March 24th, 1731/32
Now that the PRs are available online, I'll leave you to continue the research.
Victor

Offline duport

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 March 15 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Victor,
Many thanks for your hard work. Plenty of JACKSONs in Windrush, but no Rowland being baptised ca. 1700. You have prompted me to continue, using the transcriptions which are now online, so I shall do just that, and see if Thomas turns up. And hopefully expand into neighbouring parishes.

Offline MDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 15 09:17 BST (UK) »
Rowland and Mary Jackson appear in my family tree. They have a gravestone in Windrush, near the Newman 'Bale  Tomb'. I've recently been and it's difficult to read. It seems Rowland died in 1782 (possibly aged 7_ or _7) and 'his wife Mary' died Dec 1786 (or 1788) (aged 82). There are no burial records at that time on An****ry. Are any available, please and what do they say? Thanks for any help.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 June 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Welcome to RootsChat.
I shall be visiting Glos Archives (GA) next Tuesday and will see what I can find out about the burials of Rowland & Mary JACKSON.
Victor