Author Topic: Staindrop - Shaw family 1600s  (Read 2577 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Staindrop - Shaw family 1600s
« on: Thursday 19 February 15 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi I wonder if anyone might please be able to help me with the Shaw family in the parish of Staindrop.

Michael Shaw of Langleydaile made his will on 22 September 1665 and died before 10 October 1665 when a probate inventory was made.

is will names his wife Jane and children Thomas, Ralph and Elizabeth.

I have found the baptism for one of these children on familysearch. This is for Thomas Shaw son of Michael who was baptised at Staindrop on 30 November 1642.

I however can't find the other two children or the marriage to Jane and I wonder if anyone can help me find more details about this family in the registers of Staindrop.

I am of course interested in the marriage and baptisms but wonder if there are any burials in Staindrop relating to the family of Michael Shaw, such as his wife or any other children who died young.

His daughter Elizabeth appears to be the Elizabeth Shaw who married George Coates in Cockfield in 1674. She had her last child in 1691, so was presumably born in the late 1640s.

Michael's origins are not known but as he named children Thomas and Ralph and was witness to the will of Nicholas Botcherby of Cockfield in 1661 (grandson of John Shaw of Cockfield who died in 1618) and this John had a relative named Ralph Shaw and a son named Thomas Shaw, Michael Shaw presumably somehow connects to this family. I am trying to work out how.

If anyone is able to help I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Staindrop - Shaw family 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 February 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for an Elizabeth Shaw married in Staindrop 1669 to a William Wade.
regards
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Staindrop - Shaw family 1600s
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 15 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paco,

Thanks for the information. I hadn't seen that marriage.

I had a look at children for them and found:

George Wade
christening:   24 February 1670   STAINDROP,DURHAM,ENGLAND   
father:   William Wade
mother:   Elizabeth      

William Wade
christening:   10 March 1672   STAINDROP,DURHAM,ENGLAND   
father:   William Wade
mother:   Elizabeth

I thought I had better see if this couls perhaps be the Elizabeth Shaw in Michael's will in case my Elizabeth is not this one. But of course no clues here, other than the hopeful fact that they didn't name a son Michael.

Thanks again,
Jon