Author Topic: John MORTON and Ann (Nancy) CHURCH  (Read 4773 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John MORTON and Ann (Nancy) CHURCH
« on: Thursday 19 February 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Having a bit of trouble here (to put it mildly!)...

Elizabeth MORTON, b 4 Jan 1828, Northwich, Cheshire and bap. 3 Feb 1828, was the daughter of John MORTON and Ann CHURCH. Her father is also named as John MORTON on her marriage certificate of 23 May 1857 when she married John JACKSON.  I am having trouble locating Elizabeth’s parents on any census and any birth details for them.

John MORTON registered marriage bonds on 6 Dec 1826 at Chester. He married Ann CHURCH on 14 Dec 1826 at Great Budworth, Cheshire.

The only possibility I found for 1841 was in Kirk Street, Manchester. John was 37, Ann 41 and there were 2 children – Elizabeth 13 and Eliza 6 months. Neither John nor Ann were marked as born in the county (Lancashire). I think this daughter Elizabeth is the one who married John JACKSON.

The 1851 has revealed nothing so far; in 1861 a possibility was in Chorlton-upon-Medlock, Manchester. John was now 57 and Ann 52. Also Eliza aged 20 was there too. This Eliza could be the same one who was just 6 months in 1841. BUT the wife’s age of 52 does not fit! She should be about 62, but the census clearly shows 52. Shame. However, if this census is the correct (apart from the age discrepancy) it did say John was born Knutsford and Ann was born Stapeley, both in Cheshire.

Knutsford and Great Budworth are fairly close, as is Northwich where daughter Elizabeth was born. But Stapeley seems a long way south. BUT the friend for whom I am doing this research believes the Church family all came from the Nantwich area. (By the way, Ann was known as Nancy, apparently!)

I have been at this for days and the answer is probably staring me in the face but I can’t see it and brain is now frazzled! Can anyone help me out here please. I would be eternally grateful.

Kind regards
Suzie (from Orkney)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John MORTON and Ann (Nancy) CHURCH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 February 15 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps they both died before census era.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 February 15 14:42 GMT (UK) »
lizdb

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. That had occurred to me but there are too many by those names to be sure; and which county, or area, or which time frame? Difficult to pin them down.
But I'll have a second look though...thank you.

Suzie

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 February 15 15:03 GMT (UK) »
The ages of John (22) and Ann (26) given on the marriage data ties in with the family found in 1841 census.
Also I have found a John MORETON bap St John the Baptist Knutsford 8/4/1804, father Joseph, mother Nancy. Could this be him?
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 February 15 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Ruth,

Yes, those ages at marriage in 1828 fit for 1841 but not for 1861!

That's an attractive and encouraging-looking baptism for sure! Place and date fits. I will follow that up, find the marriage, family etc and see if that's John.

Many thanks.
Suzie

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 February 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Another possible for you to consider- Nancy Church bap 3 March 1799, father Thomas, at Whybunbury Cheshire (Looks to be near Stapely and Nantwich)
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 February 15 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Will do, Ruth.
Thanks.
Suzie

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 February 15 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Ruth,

Been looking on the IGI/FamilySearch at baptisms and marriages and I found this:
Marriage: Joseph Moreton and Nancy HOWELL 17 Jan 1803 Wrenbury.
They had, among others, John bap 1 Sep 1805 Wrenbury.

This is a year later than you one you suggested and Wrenbury is miles away from Knutsford!

Can't find a marriage at Knutsford that would fit.

Suzie

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 February 15 08:55 GMT (UK) »
1851;
In Manchester;
John Marton 47
Ann Marton 52
Elizebath Marton 23
Eliza Ann Marton 10
Mathew Wood 22

Now interestingly John is a Bookkeepers Cashier in this Census
Ah, thought in 1861 he was a Cotton Spinner but looks like Cl lo a (clerk to a cotton spinner?)
So looks like in 1871 Census he has remarried to a Sarah (likely Bedford) and appears with her in 1881 also.

Quote from ruth52;
Nancy Church bap 3 March 1799, father Thomas, at Whybunbury
Looks like she is right as 1851 Ann is born c 1799 Cheshire Foybunbury!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)