Author Topic: Finding a House  (Read 12327 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a House
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 February 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
wow I can't insert quotes but to Jill and John.

Yes George Redman. As he worked for Duke of Norfolk I thought he may live in one of the estates cottages on the left before you turn into Bond Street. John you got it!! He was tailor to duke.

Jill how did you get Redman? I didn't mention it. Did you see my other posts?

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 February 15 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Jane - you have a footer on all your posts with Redman in west sussex  ;)

I also have an interest on Mount Pleasant as my 2x great grandmother died there in 1912 (her son Walter Jarvis was also a mayor of Arundel)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 February 15 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I was just about to offer to try to locate the house, but see it's been more or less found.

Keep in mind that is is quite possible that the house where your ancestor's lived no longer stands, especially if there has been a lot of redevelopment in the area.

All you may get is a rough idea of location or style of house.

Recently on another thread, I was viewing the NLS side by side maps and comparing where a (named) building used to stand with what is there today, and using the cursor (which is an excellent feature of the side by side maps), if I drew around the outline of the building on the old map, it quite clearly corresponded with a building on the modern map. Looking at the building on street view, it was a modern detatched house. So I am guessing that the foundations were used as a basis for a complete remodel at some stage. Just thought I'd tell that story as I found it quite interesting.  ;)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 February 15 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Jane - you have a footer on all your posts with Redman in west sussex  ;)

I also have an interest on Mount Pleasant as my 2x great grandmother died there in 1912 (her son Walter Jarvis was also a mayor of Arundel)
I was just about to offer to try to locate the house, but see it's been more or less found.

Keep in mind that is is quite possible that the house where your ancestor's lived no longer stands, especially if there has been a lot of redevelopment in the area.

All you may get is a rough idea of location or style of house.

Recently on another thread, I was viewing the NLS side by side maps and comparing where a (named) building used to stand with what is there today, and using the cursor (which is an excellent feature of the side by side maps), if I drew around the outline of the building on the old map, it quite clearly corresponded with a building on the modern map. Looking at the building on street view, it was a modern detatched house. So I am guessing that the foundations were used as a basis for a complete remodel at some stage. Just thought I'd tell that story as I found it quite interesting.  ;)

Silly me Jill!! I have heard of Walter Jarvis. He has a road named after him.
Did you find his house?

Ruskie, I am only guessing would love any help you can offer. For ages I wrongly assumed I was looking for 127 Mt. Pleasant till I realised that was not the house number just the enumerators number. Thinking logically in those days there were not 127 houses. Arundel has been redeveloped to death, not for the better in some cases.

Thanks to you both.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 February 15 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I just had a look around the area on google maps and there appear to be quite a lot of old houses in the area.
Like Jill, the best I can work out is that the Redman's lived somewhere fairly close to Bond Street, judging by the order of the addresses on the 1851 census.
I notice that Poor House Hill is the address after the Redmans - there are 6 families there, then 5 families at the Alms House, then there is the Workhouse.
A link to the Arundel Workhouse:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Arundel/

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 February 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
From the Workhouses site:

Arundel built a workhouse . . . at the southern end of what had become Poorhouse Hill, now Mount Pleasant, in Arundel.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 February 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
The whole street is called Poorhouse Hill on the 1876 map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/501537/107079/12/100315 (you may have to zoom out)
Also on the 1879 map at http://maps.nls.uk/view/102347728#zoom=6&lat=8879&lon=2661&layers=BT
Mount Pleasant appears to be the part of the street north of Bond Street, and Poorhouse Hill that part south of Bond Street. There are 6 houses in Poorhouse Hill (Poorhouse Lane in 1841) in 1851 and 17 in Mount Pleasant, but It is not clear which end of Mount Pleasant Schedule 127 is.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 February 15 14:40 GMT (UK) »
The whole street is called Poorhouse Hill on the 1876 map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/501537/107079/12/100315 (you may have to zoom out)
Also on the 1879 map at http://maps.nls.uk/view/102347728#zoom=6&lat=8879&lon=2661&layers=BT
Mount Pleasant appears to be the part of the street north of Bond Street, and Poorhouse Hill that part south of Bond Street. There are 6 houses in Poorhouse Hill (Poorhouse Lane in 1841) in 1851 and 17 in Mount Pleasant, but It is not clear which end of Mount Pleasant Schedule 127 is.

Stan

Stan, it is a very confusing street. From Maltravers Street end  up to London Road,  this  one road had 3 names Park Bottom. Mount Pleasant and Poorhouse Hill  In my childhood (late 50's)  my Dad always referred to Mount Pleasant  as Poorhouse Hill  Some people called the whole road Mount Pleasant and dropped the Park Bottom.  Many of us Arundelians refer to streets  as different names than they are actually called.  For example a road was built from the bottom gates of the Castle to Swanbourne Lake , whilst being built it was referred to as the New Road.  It was actually named  Mill Road, but to this day it is still know as New Road to many.

If my ancestors lived where I though they might they were on the left hand side going up past the workhouse (which is on right) and   just before the right turn to Bond Street.   Although they could have lived in the cottages set back of the road on same side as workhouse just past it ??? ??? ??? before the turn into Bond Street.

Ruskie where did you get the complete 1851 census, I only have the page that shows were George Redman lived, you are seeing so much more.

Thanks for input all. I think I need to look at maps and complete census, I think I am more confused than ever  and I have lived in Arundel all my life!!!

In 1871 my Gt Gt Grandmother (George died 1853)  now remarried moved to Bond Street!  But thats another search.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 February 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »
If you are on Ancestry, and looking at the original census page (not the transcription), there is a navigation bar at the bottom of the page (see attached).

Click on the arrow on the left to go back 1 page; click on the arrow on the right to go forwards 1 page.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)