Author Topic: Finding a House  (Read 12326 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a House
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 February 15 16:46 GMT (UK) »
If you are on Ancestry, and looking at the original census page (not the transcription), there is a navigation bar at the bottom of the page (see attached).

Click on the arrow on the left to go back 1 page; click on the arrow on the right to go forwards 1 page.

Sadly only works if you have ancestry subs, which I have not.  Pay as you go 12 credits a time- it just eats them up! Its one credit per page just tried it and wasted a few on pages that are not relevant.

Jane ???
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 February 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
If you are on Ancestry, and looking at the original census page (not the transcription), there is a navigation bar at the bottom of the page (see attached).

Click on the arrow on the left to go back 1 page; click on the arrow on the right to go forwards 1 page.

Sadly only works if you have ancestry subs, which I have not.  Pay as you go 12 credits a time- it just eats them up! Its one credit per page just tried it and wasted a few on pages that are not relevant.

Jane ???

That's how they make their money, couldn't care less about family history, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 February 15 18:35 GMT (UK) »

That's how they make their money, couldn't care less about family history, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole

Yes I see that. I can't see why census info is not freely available. If you don't use ancestry where do you get your census info? Can you recommend another site?

Jane

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 February 15 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Findmypast.co.uk is also an option, but that is also a pay site.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 February 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Annual subscription to either of them costs less than the price of a cup of coffee per week.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 February 15 18:53 GMT (UK) »
The pay sites invested a lot of time and money in transcribing the censuses, they are businesses and need to recover their costs, and make a profit so they can transcribe other sources of information.
as Mike says the cost is minimal, compared to the cost of having to travel to the National Archives and other Record Offices.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 February 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I would visit Arundel Public Library for starters and ask what they have in their local collection. They could have Census Returns. Free to view and about 20p a sheet to print off. I guess your County Records Office is at Chichester, but I don't know.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 February 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Guys thank you. All suggestions gratefully received. I think I will go with ancestry subs.

Yes a visit to Arundel library when time permits is worth a try. Yes Chichester is the county records office.

I just want to say I wasn't dissing any of the ancestry sites. I am a complete novice with very little time for research visits at the moment.  Try to do as much as I can on line. Just because money no object I still want to get best deal.

I think my approach to research is very different to some of you. But in my own way I do well. I get lots of  help from Rootschat which is fantastic. And I am really grateful for all the replies and help I get. Would be lost without you all ;D

Jane

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 February 15 00:47 GMT (UK) »
You could also try FreeCen?

They are volunteer run, so obviously not as comprehensive as Ancestry or FindMyPast,but always worth a look! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)