Author Topic: Finding a House  (Read 12320 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a House
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 February 15 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure this will help if there were very few houses on Mt Pleasant at the time, because it can be hard to get your bearings with large distances between each household, but what I find can be useful is to follow the enumerator's walk, making a note of each household, and oher landmarks, etc, then try to fiind these places on both a modern map and an old map.

I think the NLS maps are brilliant, and their side by side feature might be useful in this case.

I used to use Oldmaps.co.uk which used to be excellent if you wanted to view a particular area through the years, as they had several maps, from the early 1800s through the fifties and more recent. Sadly that is now subscription only and they have recently removed even more options for searching, so I find it virtually useless.

The NLS are the way to go.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 February 15 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure this will help if there were very few houses on Mt Pleasant at the time, because it can be hard to get your bearings with large distances between each household, but what I find can be useful is to follow the enumerator's walk, making a note of each household, and oher landmarks, etc, then try to fiind these places on both a modern map and an old map.

I think the NLS maps are brilliant, and their side by side feature might be useful in this case.

The NLS are the way to go.

Not sure I understand. Follow the enumerators walk ? How do I know where he walked? What landmarks? I have only 1 page of census. What am I missing?  Will deffo try nls maps.
Am feeling I have missed something. Am quite a novice and fear it is showing.

Thanks for reply.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 February 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the pages before and after your ancestorīs page on the census you will see which route the enumerator took. It should give you an indication of addresses around the cottages you are looking for and help you to identify the residence you are trying to find.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 February 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Craclyn.  :)

Sorry JJ, not your fault, I don't think I explained it very well.

You can get a broader outline if you go to Page 1 of any census where there is a description of the Enumeration District, which can sometimes be helpful too.

But if you make note of the address of your house of interest and then take note of the neighbour's addresses, you can usually get a reasonable idea of where it lies in comparison to other houses, landmarks etc. Sometimes you do need to 'travel' over a number of pages, until you find something of significance. For example, it may be a street, farm or pub which still exists today. And sometimes the enumerator seems to travel in an odd order, but it can be worth persisting.  :)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 February 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Great explanation Ruskie :)
I think we could all benefit from pursuing that exercise. I find that it not only helps with the locational questions, but in many cases often throws out clues as to how people met and married.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 February 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Guys thanks. Now I am more confused. I only have one page of census. Can't see any more. Can't go backwards or forwards. So how do I get e entire census. I don't have ance subs.

Am I being stupid here?  I am a novice and get frustrated when I don't understand. Like now.

jane ???

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 February 15 21:35 GMT (UK) »
What's the name of the person you are looking for Jane? I've been looking at Mount Pleasant, it looks like the enumerator started at the top of the hill and worked down, there were only a few properties there at the time.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 February 15 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I think you can discount half of the present properties as being too new. This leaves you with the pair of semi's and the row of three on the left, going up hill. The tiny cottages on the opposite side below Bond st. Then a few on top of the bank between Bond st and the white houses backing on to Park Gate.

Of course, some of the newer ones may have replaced older properties but I don't think so.

I believe the ones on the left are estate workers houses, brown paintwork, and some of the others may be also. Did gg grandfather work on the estate? if so then the estate office may be able to help from their records.

Also Arundel museum or Arundel photographica who may have old pictures and maps. This is the best I can find which seems to show what I have said. http://www.francisfrith.com/arundel/maps

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 February 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
According to the census Mount Pleasant only went as far from the top of the hill to Bond Street after which it was Poor House Hill. If your family are the Redmans the it's the last address before the Poorhouse Hill and some almshouses, though there's no telling which side of the road it was.