Author Topic: Burial of a still born in 1882  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Burial of a still born in 1882
« on: Friday 20 February 15 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I have finally found the child that family legend said existed. (However briefly). This child is in the  grave of a sibling that had died in January 1882. The still birth burial was 30 October 1882.
I cannot find the still birth on the NZ BDM's site. The parents were very good at registering their children - of 11 they only missed one other.
The question is - what sort of paper work would have to be done for the still birth burial?
The grave is in a council cemetery, and I found the burial on the council's cemetery site.
Thank you
Jean

Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of a still born in 1882
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 February 15 05:02 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine cemetery records would show the reopening of the Jan 1882 grave for the stillbirth
Council archives may hold the burial book which can be a great source of information.

Cheers Janette

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 15 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Janette,

Will now try to find the council burial book.

Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 15 07:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about NZ, but stillbirths weren't registered in England & Wales until 1927!

And then is a separate register with restricted access. ::)

EDIT: I found this online-
In 1913, stillbirth registration began. The laws of New Zealand provided that when a child died within a few days of birth, it was recorded as a stillbirth. If the still birth was unregistered as a birth, it was to be registered as a death. Always be sure to search for it in the registrations of death.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank You KGarrad,

I had not expected to find help from the other side of the world ;D

I will look into this.
Thank you
Jean