Author Topic: William Detchon - Rothbury, Great Tosson, Elsdon  (Read 12130 times)

Offline MD3tch0n

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Detchon - Rothbury, Great Tosson, Elsdon
« on: Friday 20 February 15 19:29 GMT (UK) »
First and foremost I would like to give a heartfelt "thank you" to all of you volunteers that make this website possible. Being new to RootsChat I have already received great help.

Now, what I would like to know is everything I can about William DETCHON, including a death date and burial if possible. What I do know is his christening date and place : 31 Mar 1717 in Rothbury. In 1747 his residence was Great Tosson. And, he was married in 1758 to Ann ROBSON...I believe. They are my 6th great grandparents. Any kind of information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Detchon

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline MD3tch0n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Detchon - Rothbury, Great Tosson, Elsdon
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 February 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Craclyn! 

This must be my guy. I had a different death date but there was no proof. Is Sparty Shaw a person that he was living with or does it mean something else? I googled the church and it is just beautiful. I have several christenings as being in Rothbury. Is this where they would have taken place?
Detchon

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 February 15 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Sparty Shaw is where he was living at the time of death, so I am guessing it would be a farm or house somewhere near Elsdon. Cannot remember seeing it when I was driving round there last year looking at the farms where my folks lived.

If you google "Sparty Shaw, Elsdon" one of the first entries that comes up is another Northumberland Poll Book which actually takes you straight to the page for your William living at Sparty Shaw. Give it a try. If you can't find it let me know and I will send you a link.

I suggest you also do a Detchon search on freereg.org.uk with county Northumberland. You will find a good few parish records for more of them in Rothbury. Click on the blue number to the left of the entry to get the level of detail I sent you for William's burial.

This might interest you about Great Tosson: http://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/understanding/historyarchaeology/historicvillageatlas/greattossonintroduction

Rothbury is a very picturesque location on the river Coquet. Elsdon is also an attractive little village.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 February 15 21:48 GMT (UK) »

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 February 15 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Was his mother Isobel  DETCHON, widow of Oswald Detchon, widow, of great Tossen? This is her Will dated 1758

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12116-64326-48

This is a Administration Bond of who could be his brother ROGER,  Date of probate: 10 August 1758

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11046-122727-93?cc=2353049&wc=95XB-L2S:1170896007

Hope these help  :)

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MD3tch0n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Claire!

I'll have to dig a little deeper. Isobel could very well be Wm's mother, because his father was Oswald. Wm also had son Oswald who came to the U.S. around 1796 or so. They obviously followed a naming pattern.

Thanks again!
Detchon

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 February 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
On the subject of naming patterns, have you noticed the baptism on familysearch for a Will.Detchin in 1673 in Rothbury with father Ozwold Detchin. I suspect they probably belong to you too :)