Author Topic: William Detchon - Rothbury, Great Tosson, Elsdon  (Read 12134 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Detchon - Rothbury, Great Tosson, Elsdon
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 February 15 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I went to check Sparty Shaw on the Northumberland Farm Index but my link no longer works. A Google search brought up this Rootschat post, but that link does not work for me either.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORTHUMBRIA/2008-11/1226726200

Would be grateful for a working link if anyone has it. I find it impossible to find things on the NBL County Council website.

http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/file/uploaded/Collections%20-%20Finding%20Aids/Northumberland%20Farm%20Index%201860.pdf
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 February 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
An article in the Newcastle Courant June 25 1825.

"Freehold Estate to be sold by Auction ....

All that Freehold Estate by the name of Knight Side and Sparty Shaw, in the Parish of Elsdon, ... containing 110 acres more or less (20 of which are an allotment of Common), now in the occupation of Mr Milburn, ... And also the Colliery on the said Estate, in the possession of Mr Gee. This estate lies around a quarter of a mile South West of the Town of Elsdon....."

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 February 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 February 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Looks as though it is right beside the gibbet then.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 February 15 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to JenB for the new link to the NBL Farms index. Much appreciated.

Great idea to look in the papers for a clue.

Offline MD3tch0n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 February 15 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so, so much! You have really went beyond the call of duty! You have given me quite a few avenues to follow!

I do have Wm. Detchin and his father Ozwold in me tree. I was a bit unsure and needed another opinion. Thank you for that. This site has been an amazing help!
Detchon

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 March 15 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking for something else, I have just come across a small illustration of the Elsdon Common Inclosure Plan, 1731 in "Drove Roads of Northumberland" (Roberts, Carlton & Rushworth, 2010).

This shows a building marked as Spartishaw, as well as a nearby one marked as The Shaw, both seeming to be in Shaw field. These are both south of Elsdon Burn, and south east of Cants Mill (not the old Elsdon Mill which is shown separately, north of the village centre), and to the west of West Todlees. Spartishaw and The Shaw are both south east of Elsdon Town.

This seems very consistent with the general area indicated by previous posts.

The Elsdon section of the Northumberland Historic Village Atlas project refers to the 1731 Elsdon Inclosure Plan as being Figure 15. I am afraid I cannot find Figure 15 but no doubt you will be able to do so MD3tch0n  :)

Here is the link to the Elsdon section:
http://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/understanding/historyarchaeology/historicvillageatlas/elsdonvillageatlas

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 March 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I have also found it on Fryer's map of 1820 and listed in the index of 1822 which goes with it.  As stated earlier it is very close to Knightside.

Christine

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 June 16 13:31 BST (UK) »
I have just read this thread and  am trying to trace ancestors of George CARR (1765-1832) who was born in Rothbury and married Jane SMITH (1764-1842). I am a descendant of George Carr (my 5xs great grandfather) I am struggling to trace George Carr any further back but think his wife Jane Smith was daughter of John Smith (1745-1795) and Jane DETCHON. If so the latter is the daughter of William DETCHON, mentioned on this thread. I note Oswald Detchon married Ann Carr and wondered if there was any link there, or indeed if George Carr's wife, Jane Smith was the granddaughter of William Detchon. Any help with how to trace ancestors of George Carr and links to Smith and Detchon families in Rothbury, Thropton and Elsdon areas of upper Coquetdale would be appreciated.