Author Topic: Worcester help  (Read 8062 times)

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 March 15 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The GRO indices which are in name order are known to have a number of discrepancies when compared with the local Registrar’s Office (RO) original records. I suggest you contact the local RO as I understand they index their records by church not surname.

All Worcestershire records are now held at the Register Office, County Hall, Worcester and as you know, the church, date and names and addresses of both the bride and groom the search should be straightforward – I hope!

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/info/20000/births_deaths_marriages_and_citizenship/96/obtaining_copy_certificates
This has a link to ordering a copy certificate.

Best Wishes
Jack

Offline 2Familynew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 March 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jack. I've now applied for the Cert.,and has been accepted.. Thanks to everyone for all the help you've given me.. Dee

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 April 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee Hi (sorry I couldnt resist it lol)

If you get the chance to visit the Hive Worcester to search parish registers I think it would be worth your while looking at the registers for St Martin Worcester, its just a hunch but they sometimes pay off

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 April 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee

Ive been having a look on free bmd & this is the best I can find Alice Dayus birth registered Sep 1/4 1860 Tenbury dist
Louisa Dayus birth registered Dec 1/4 1868 Tenbury dist

To me it looks like it could be 2 siblings & I was going to have a look at Claines & St Martins when Im in Worcestershire from Monday next but to be honest I dont think its worth it as I personally dont think it looks like the children were born in WOR

All the very best

Phil

ps if I get time I'll have a shufty at Claines & St Martin registers
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 April 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Dee

First of all I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions when I looked at Free BMD should I :)

On Tues at the 1871 census for Louisa & found this
CLAINES 1871
Richard Dayus Hd M 23 Shoemaker (Journeyman)        St Peters Worcester
Mary         "    Wf  M                                                   Cheltenham GLS
Alice         "     dr       9  Scholar                                  Claines   WOR
Louisa       "     dr       7       "                                          "           "

I then searched the parish registers of Claines baptisms from start of 1861 - end of 1870 & did find the entry for Alice
8OCT1861 Alice d/o Richard/Mary Dayus   Britannia Road    Cordwainer  Page 58 No 460
but could find no entry for Louisa so expanded my search a bit
Worcester St Martin start of 1961 - end of 1865 (no Dayus entries)
Hindlip start of 1861 - end of 1871                    ("        "        "    )
Warndon "     " 1860 -  "     " 1874                     ("        "       "    )
Hallow     "    "  1860 -  "     " 1870                     ( "       "       "     )
Grimley   "     "  1860 -  "    "  1872                    ( "        "       "     )
Ombersley "    " 1861 - "    "   1868                    ( "       "        "    )
Claines (just for the name Louisa) 1863 -1868  (only 2 baps but nothing like Dayus)
Claines marriages 1884 - 1892         (no entries for Dayus as brides)

All I can surmise is that Louisa was probably baptised in either her father or mothers parish or the family may have moved before she was baptised so I think the best thing you can do is send for (what you believe) is her birth certificate but specify the names of the parents on the application to make sure you only get the certificate that applies to Louisa.

I wish I could have found Louisa but think it very unlikely that I would miss her as I searched the registers at least 3 times

Good hunting

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 April 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
Further to what Eastbury sent you here is another sourse of the info available to you if you subscribe to Ancestry but even if you don't you can gain access free at your local library.
Richard Dayus = Mary Jones 30 SEP 1860 at Claines Worcestershire
FHL film 0352032-0352034, 352035
Source info - Ancestry.com England Select Marriages 1538-1973 [database on-line]
there is also an option of giving them your e mail address & you can be sent a copy to download but I don't have a clue how much this costs

All the best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell