Author Topic: WILLIAMS- ABERYSTWYTH  (Read 3618 times)

Offline willgen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WILLIAMS- ABERYSTWYTH
« on: Saturday 21 February 15 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information regarding my G.Grandfather,William WILLIAMS, & his parents John & Martha.
William was born in Aberystwyth in about 1828 & moved to Liverpool with his widowed mother where he trained as a pattern maker.
Martha was born about 1786 in Aberportwest.
The only information I have on John is that he was a joiner by trade (from Williams Marraige certificate) & that he was dead before I found William & Martha on the 1851 Census in Liverpool.
I know looking for WILLIAMS in Wales is a bit like looking for a needle in a hay- stack, but nothing ventured!
FLEMING-Coniston; Dufton;Alston
DALTON-Dufton;Penrith; York/Toronto,Canada
DIXON-Dufton.
TRATHEN-Redruth;Coniston;Nenthead.
HATTON-Stockport;Manchester;Liverpool
WILLIAMS-Aberystwith;Liverpool

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAMS- ABERYSTWYTH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:24 GMT (UK) »
You said Martha's birthplace was Aberportwest, is this Aberporth, west Wales or possibly Haverfordwest.   What was Martha's maiden name?

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 15 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the 1851 census, Martha was born in Pembrokeshire and I can only assume the the place of birth was wrongly written and should have been Haverfordwest (Aberporth is in Cardiganshire), just look how Aberystwyth has been transcribed !!

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 February 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
A William Williams son of John and Martha Williams was baptised 15 Aug 1826 in Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire.

Offline willgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 February 15 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

No knowledge of Martha before I found her on the 1851 census so don't know her maiden name.
Not found on 1861 census - may have died by then? You could be right that she came from Haverfordwest.
William was by 1861 married & living in Walton, Liverpool.
Hoped someone with access to records in Aberystwyth might find a marraige for the parents or birth for William.

Regards
Willgen
DIXON-Dufton.

Offline willgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 February 15 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave
 Looks like you may have found it - thanks!
Regards
willgen
DIXON-Dufton.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 February 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 is living with wife Mary and family at 54 Stanley Road, Bootle - all sunames Williams

William, 63, Pattern Maker (same as my ggrandfather William Jenkins also born Aberystwyth)
Mary, 48, Liverpool
Martha, 23, Dressmaker, Liverpool
Margaret, 20, Liverpool
George, 13, West Kirby, Cheshire
John, Liverpool

Perhaps John Williams also came from Pembrokeshire, have you tried looking for a marriage for Martha in Pembrokeshire?   Unfortunately a lot of Martha Williams died in Liverpool between 1851 and 1861 with no ages given.

Apropos nothing, William Jenkins's wife came from Liverpool..............

Offline willgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 February 15 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave
William was on his second marraige by the 1891 census (I think first wife died early 1870s).
He married Mary JENKINS (ne ELLIS) IN 1876, her first husband was a William JENKINS! Mary Ellis & William Jenkins married in London at St George in the East. William Jenkins was included on William & Mary Williams' grave in Liverpool. 'Captain William JENKINS - Buried at sea'. What sort of captain I've no idea.
It is interesting to see the pattern of marraige in Liverpool of the WELSH extraction relatives they all seem to have married someone from Wales. I wonder if the non-conformist religious background has anything to do with it? Maybe they all met at Chapel!
I think you might have a point that John Williams could also have come from Haverfordwest & the marraige taken place there.
DIXON-Dufton.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 February 15 13:09 GMT (UK) »
There are four children of John and Martha Williams baptised at Aberystwyth (on FreeREG and familsearch sites)
Elizabeth 7 September 1817
Jane 22 August 1819
Anne 29 February 1824
William 15 August 1826

(I think Jane is with Martha in Aberystwyth in 1841)

With the earliest being in 1817, there's a good chance that the marriage shown on FreeREG at Llanbadarnvawr of John Williams and Martha Owen (familysearch has Owens) on 3 October 1816 is the same couple.

If they are, that gives you another question to answer, as they are both widowed.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk