Author Topic: Tithe Map of St Issells  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Griffl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tithe Map of St Issells
« on: Saturday 21 February 15 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has a copy and would be willing to look something up for me please?
my 5x grt grandfather had a farm in Stepaside....
I wonder if you could check this?
he was called Richard Griffiths

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe Map of St Issells
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Griffl,
Cynefin is a project run by a partnership led by Archives Wales, and also includes the National Library of Wales and the People’s Collection. The project aims to digitise more than 1100 tithe maps and transcribe over 36,000 apportionment documents and link them to the relevant location on the map.

There is a Richard Griffiths listed on the transcriptions for St Issells (reference on bottom of page 54--54 on bottom left and 28 on bottom right) but it does not name the property
Here is the link:
http://cynefin.archiveswales.org.uk/en/tithe-maps/transcribe/#St%20Issells&/transcribe/014996151573/&&&&/map/133834845045/

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe Map of St Issells
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 15 21:16 BST (UK) »
I don't have a copy of the St Issells tithe map to hand anymore - I gave mine away several years back. However, I noted on my transcript of the tithe award where the rough locations of each entry were.

Richard Griffiths was the tenant of the Picton Castle estate leasing 3 cottages with gardens close to Stepaside. My notes indicate that this was Plumtree Hall.

Interestingly a Jane Griffiths signed a lease with the Picton Castle estate on 10/1/1809 for the same at a rent of £4 p.a. for the term of three lives (ie the term equating to the longest surviving life). The three lives listed in the lease are Richard Griffiths, son aged 27; John Evans, grandson aged 5 and kinswoman Mary Griffiths aged 14. The lease also recorded that Jane was the daughter of Henry Griffiths. This lease is held at the National Library of Wales (NLW), in the Picton Castle collection ref. 1255.

There are copies of the tithe map at the National Archives in Kew, the Pembrokeshire Archives and also the NLW.

Jon