Author Topic: Which census transcription is correct?  (Read 18944 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Which census transcription is correct?
« on: Saturday 21 February 15 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I am, as you will no doubt be aware a huge fan of ScotlandsPeople but I do rather grudge paying to see the original census returns - I'd rather spend my limited funds on certificates. :)

Anyways, I'm having a wee look at my Fearns in Kirrie and up the Angus glens and a certain James Fearn's age in 1851 is transcribed as 50 at FindMyPast and 56 at A*cess*tryharder. If I was a betting person I'd go with the 50 but how to check? I know where he's living - so at SP I just put in his name and where he's living then age from age 56 to 56 (no one showing) down to 50 to 50 one hit....can't see this working with very common names although you could add a second person to narrow it down a bit.

Now wondering if DC Thompson is using the same index as SP given they're in partnership....if they are that might give one more confidence in F*M*P transcriptions and I wouldn't have to resort to the above in the first place. 
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Which census transcription is correct?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 15 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Wait until FreeCEN has the parish(es)you are interested in, and see what they reckon it is.Or see if someone with access to the microfilms of the relevant census would be willing to look on your behalf. Or go to an LDS Church Family History Centre and arrange to rent the microfilm. Or bite the bullet and look at the original yourself.

If I recall correctly D C Thomson (not Thompson with a 'p') was involved with Scots Origins, the predecessor of Scotland's People in its present incarnation, and Scots Origins became part of FindMyPast. The index, as far as I know, was based on the original index used on the old terminals in New Register House before the whole thing went online. I do not know whether or not D C Thomson and/or Scots Origins and/or FindMyPast retained access to that index when SP was taken back in house or not.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 15 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Why it is important to know his exact age in 1851? If he died before the 1861 census, then you can pay to download his death certificate from SP. If he was still living in 1861, then you can check his given age and see which one of the 1851 ages it most closely matches.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 15 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Only his birth register will guarantee his true age. Baptisms were not always carried out as babies.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 15 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, I must really remember to take the 'P' out of D C Thomson. FREEcen always first preference but unfortunately this parish is not yet available. Perhaps soon as Angus records for 1851 steadily progress.  :)

Why it is important to know his exact age in 1851? If he died before the 1861 census, then you can pay to download his death certificate from SP. If he was still living in 1861, then you can check his given age and see which one of the 1851 ages it most closely matches.

Well, James Fearn (my 4 x great grandfather) is not to be found on the 1861 census and I can't find a death for him on SP. So I'm currently working on the assumption he died between 1851 and 1855. On the 1851 census his place of birth is listed as Tannadice.
In 1795 there's a James Fearn born to a William Fearn and a Jean Linsey
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYVS-CVK
and in 1800 there's a James Fearn born to a James Fearn and a Margaret Ogilvie
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYVS-CVG
I'm currently trying piecing together all the Fearn's in and around Tannadice to work out family connections. Now as James Fearn (shoemaker) is transcribed at A*try as age 56 in 1851 this has lead to a good number of people coming to to all sorts of conclusions. OK, rant over  :-[
Jen

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 February 15 11:40 GMT (UK) »
What year did he marry?

His baptism may not have been recorded

Any hints using the naming tradition?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 February 15 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Jen

James 50, Shoemaker, employing 5 men born Tannadice
Ann, 56 born Tannadice
Agnes 19, Hand Loom Weaver, brown linen born Kirrie
Ann 12, scholar born Kirrie

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the census.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 February 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch for baptism for James Fearn and Ann Gall or Gauld are, in order of birth, Helen, Stewart, Robert, Martha, Betty, Mary Milne, Agnes, David, William and Ann.

1841 census has James Fearn shoemaker and wife Ann with children, in order of birth, Robert, Martha, Agnes, David, William and Ann. In 1851 only children Agnes and Ann are still with them.

If they followed the naming pattern, James' parents would have been Stewart and Martha, and Ann's parents' Helen and Robert. Which doesn't match either of the James Fearn baptisms you've found. Of course, they may not have followed the naming pattern - and not all the baptisms of their children may have been recorded. Also James' baptism may not have been recorded - many weren't back then.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 February 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sancti,
No marriage for Ann Gall and James Fearn as of yet. First boy child probably called Stewart (like his sister Helen not with parents in 1841)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYJN-Q6L
I say probably as Ann 'Gauld' is down mother and these two are born in Kirriemuir not Lintrathen.

Robert is my direct line - he looks to be the next born son (much discussed on Rootschat):
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYJ2-421
All the other children showing at FamilySearch align with the family on the 1841 census. (except Mary Milne born 1830 early death? or Betty born 1828 - she looks to be working for the Lawsons)
All listed as born to James Fearn and Ann Gall at Lintrathen. Robert's death certificate give his mother as Ann Gall as does his sister Agnes's DC.

1841 the only Fearns living in Tannadice parish appear to be the offspring of William and Jean (she's still living) or the offspring of James and Margaret (they are both still living). Everyone is living within spitting distance of each other. William and James both called their first son James  - neither of whom are living in Tannadice in 1841.

Naming pattern for my James does not help in as much there does not appear to be a son called James and a William comes after Stewart, Robert, and David!

I believe Ann's parents were James Gall and Helen Watson....so you'd expect a James!

Sorry I'm too slow!
Jen