Author Topic: Birmingham: Thomas WALTON  (Read 6959 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham: Thomas WALTON
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 February 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
. At least one child's baptism is available to confirm that Mary Hanson is the mother
Not disputing this but where did you find it as I can't see it in B'ham Baptisms.
BTW a japanner coated metal objects in a rustproof black coating.

A japanner also coated wood. I thought it was the Japanese style lacquer work.

Non- conformist baptisms
Wesleyan, Birmingham
Ann Walton
Birth 10 Aug 1833
Baptism 7th September 1834
Parents: Thomas Walton, Japanner, and Mary Hanson

In 1841 1147/36/13 he is described as a 'J Japaner' which I assume to be a Journey Japanner.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 February 15 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Jim1,
There are also 3 baptisms at St Philip's 1st April 1839 with parents, Thomas, Japanner, and Mary but they do not show mother's maiden name.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 February 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I think this thread has become like Hampton Court Maze and my belief that it was probably impossible to determine who his mother was has traction.   Mary HANSON is obviously incorrect........Mary WINN and Elizabeth SLY are still possibilities, although I rejected SLY in my initial researches and for the life of me the reason has escaped my memory (Dotage with accompanying senility!!).   But quite honestly the whole matter has become so confused I would prefer to mark the thread "TOPIC COMPLETED".

Joseph WALTON was an "Exile" and as such was essentially given a Free Pardon, although with attaching conditions, not returning to England before his original sentence completed etc., and when he landed at Port Phillip no "Convict Record" was necessary.   Parkhurst Prison kept the most comprehensive record and an extract from that has been cited earlier but no mother's name was mentioned anywhere throughout the prison documents.

Thank you once again for all your efforts.

BAC3