Author Topic: Allen J. Charlton, R.A.F. 9 Dick Road, Kilmarnock  (Read 3488 times)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Allen J. Charlton, R.A.F. 9 Dick Road, Kilmarnock
« on: Saturday 21 February 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
 Allen Charlton who's wartime address was 9 Dick Road, Kilmarnock was an RAF crew member of 159 Squadron Liberator AL534.   This aircraft took off from St Jean, Palestine on 23 July 1942 to attack harbour installations and shipping at Benghazi, Libya.   The aircraft was shot down, two killed and 5 taken prisoner to include Allen Charlton. 

In Stalag Luft VI and Stalag 357 Charlton along with my father Walter Layne and 5 other NCO s   from their mess formed a combine for self preservation.  They pooled all of their resources as a group.  They would barter and scavenge for food and fuel and share the cooking responsibilities.

There are 50 prisoners named in my father's POW "Wartime Log."  https://wallyswar.wordpress.com/pow-log/

I am attempting to find a wartime photograph of each individual, so far I have found 23.  My efforts so far can be seen here.  https://wallyswar.wordpress.com/other-pows/

I am hopeful that through this website I can find a photograph of Allen Charlton and hopefully a little more information.

Regards, David Layne.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Allen J. Charlton, R.A.F. 9 Dick Road, Kilmarnock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 February 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi David.

What an interesting and poignant post. How marvelous that you have your fathers 'Wartime Log' - a real treasure.

My first thoughts as a Kilmarnock born lassie is that Charlton is not a very Ayrshire name.

Allen lived in Dick Road which is very close to both the Dick Institute Museum/Library and Kilmarnock Academy (secondary school ). Which reminded me that I had once found some WW2 memorial bios on this site  http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic3088-0-asc-0.html   
relating to ex-pupils of the school.

There is among them a memorial for a Thomas Trevor Charlton son of John Clifford Charlton and Anne Isobel Charlton of Kilmarnock. Thomas Trevor is originally from England and was at Kilmarnock Academy for 3 years. He was Captain of a Lancaster Bomber which crashed 1944 in Denmark. I think there could be a connection to J Allen Charlton....as I said ....Charlton not a common name locally.

Best wishes with your research.
Looby :)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 February 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your post Looby.  I think you are correct that Thomas Trevor Charlton and Allen are related, perhaps brothers.  Hopefully someone will come up with some information.

I have posted 12 requests on Rootschat in different counties the last couple of days.  A little response but no photographs or information yet but people are reading my requests which is good.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 16 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Anyone able to help here please?

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating - sadly I haven't the remotest chance of helping! Have you contacted the RAF Museum at Hendon - they'd probably be grateful for scans of the log?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 March 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Graham, they do have copies.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 16 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Did you pursue the Welsh link which I sent you over a year ago by Personal Message?

Looby

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Looby I'm ashamed to say I don't recall.  Let me look further.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 March 16 19:43 GMT (UK) »
John Clifford Charlton married Annie Isobel Ray in 1912 in Hartlepool.  3 children born between 1914-1922 but no Allen J

No Allen/Allan J Charlton birth on freebmd in a timescale whereby he would have been old enough to serve in WW2

Somebody was very talented looking at the drawings on the right hand page

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)