Author Topic: Elizabeth Grant, servant, maybe around Market Drayton, 1866  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Carolyn Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Grant, servant, maybe around Market Drayton, 1866
« on: Monday 23 February 15 01:44 GMT (UK) »
My 2x Great Grandmother Elizabeth Grant was born in Leicester on 27th January 1847, and had a baby, christened Robert Smith Grant, on Cheshire Street in Market Drayton in November 1866. She was unmarried, and after the birth she returned to her family in the village of Great Glen, Leicestershire. The family lore says that she was a servant in a big house in Shropshire. Meanwhile, her mother Judith was married to railway navvy John Wood and was living in Chelmarsh, near Bridgwater in April 1861.

I'd love to find out if and where Elizabeth Grant was a servant in Shropshire, in the mid 1860s. Anybody have any good ideas?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Grant, servant, maybe around Market Drayton, 1866
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 February 15 08:06 GMT (UK) »
1861 census
Class: RG 9; Piece: 2253; Folio: 29; Page: 34
Grocers Shop, Uppingham Road, Billesden, Leicestershire

Humphrey, Lionel  Head  M  38  Grocer  b Billesden
Humphrey, Francis H  Wife  F  26  b Boston, Lincolnshire
Humphrey, Myra E  Daughter  F  1  b Billesden
Grant, Elizabeth  Servant  F  14  House Servant  b Great Glen, Leicestershire

Not seeing anything in Shropshire?
Electoral rolls will be of no use because, obviously, women didn't get the vote until after WW1! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Carolyn Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 15 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for such a prompt reply to my query! Yes, you are absolutely right about fourteen-year old Elizabeth being listed as a servant in Leicestershire on the Uppingham Road, in 1861; I really should have included that information in my posting. However, I'm still wondering why she ended up having her baby in Market Drayton, Shropshire. Presumably she was living there before she had the baby, so what was she doing, and where, immediately before 1866? I do know that some big houses have servants' records (I had a look at those for Lilleshall, for example, but nothing there), but perhaps there are other places to look?

As a second aspect, the address given for the baby's birth in November 1861 is Cheshire Street, Market Drayton, but I wonder whose house it could have been? I can't see any obvious places or contacts, though there are a couple of common lodging houses in the 1860s.

All assistance welcome!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 15 09:04 GMT (UK) »
It was commonplace for young girls who were about to give birth to travel to a place where they weren't known, to have the baby?

Is a father named on the birth certificate, or her later marriage certificate?
Is there a father named on the christening record?
Have you looked at Bastardy Orders?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ginger58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 her mother & father were living in Chelmarsh near Bridgnorth Shropshire.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 15 17:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 the Severn valley railway at bridgenorth was still being built, it opened in 1862, so his job as a railway navvy would have ended. The family may have moved again.

Mike

Offline Carolyn Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 February 15 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to those of you who assisted with expert commentary on the completion of the Severn Valley Railway, and other information. I didn't realise that folks would be so amazingly keen to help, otherwise I would have provided more material initially! Here is some more of the intriguing story I already have.....incidentally we should not think that our ancestors didn't move very far. Even poor people were pretty mobile, at a time of huge social change in the mid nineteenth century.

After giving birth to her baby Robert Smith Grant in Market Drayton in November 1866, Elizabeth returned with him to Leicestershire, where she left him with the Coleman family, former neighbours of her family in Great Glen, to be fostered whilst she worked elsewhere. She married one John Turland, in October 1869, and after a few short stays in various mining villages in the western part of the county, they moved back into the centre of Leicester. Robert lived with the same family in Great Glen until he was at least 14. He was my great grandfather, and had an interesting life himself.

Elizabeth's mother Judith, and her husband John Wood(s) (who may not be Elizabeth's father; they married some years after she was born) did move away from Chelmarsh, Shropshire, presumably after his employment on the Severn Valley railway was finished. Judith is next found living in Nuneaton in 1871, and her husband is elsewhere, presumably still working on the railway or something similar. By 1881, Judith and John are back in Leicester, living in a slum property in the centre of town with Elizabeth, who by this time has married, had two girl babies (both of whom died of fever and diarrohea), and whose husband had by then left her. Our ancestors faced some tough times and tragedy, as we know. After Judith died, John Wood (by then a drunk) committed suicide by drowning himself in the canal close to where they had lived.

Back to Elizabeth. At fourteen, in April 1861, Elizabeth Grant was working as a servant close to her family home in Leicestershire. Both her grandparents, with whom she had spent her days as a child in Great Glen, were by now dead. The point about young unmarried women choosing somewhere to have their baby where they would not be known is well made. But it seems strange for nineteen year old Elizabeth Grant to choose Market Drayton for her baby's birth, if she had no connections there at all. She was certainly not wealthy. The birth certificate for Robert Grant does not show a father, and nor does the christening record. Elizabeth did give Robert an uncharacteristic 'middle' name - Smith. In later life this name was 'lost', until it reappeared several weeks after Robert Grant died in 1945, when it was added to the death certificate. I am guessing that 'Smith' might have referred to his father, but that's uncertain. It's a very common name, of course, and Elizabeth would have encountered several male Smiths in her life.

Thanks to the person who suggested consulting the bastardy register - I will try to explore that if I can ever get to the Shropshire Record office when it is actually open!

However, I'm still wondering if Elizabeth Grant (born 1847 in Leicester) was working as a servant or in other occupation somewhere in Shropshire in the mid 1860s. Any more ideas on that, folks?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 February 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Records for a female servant between censuses will be few and far between?!

She didn't have a vote - so won't appear on any Electoral Register.
Maybe you will find a court record for her? Otherwise she will be fairly anonymous!

Offline Carolyn Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 June 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
You are right, and thanks for sharing your thoughts! :(