Author Topic: Daisy Jacobs - A Mystery  (Read 6014 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Daisy Jacobs - A Mystery
« on: Monday 23 February 15 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon

Purely by accident I’ve stumbled across a name in the birth registration index on FreeBMD. The child’s name was Daisy M Jacobs whose birth was registered in the December quarter of 1918. The district she was registered under is Hollingbourne.

The significance of this individual could be that she is an unknown sibling of my grandfather. My great-grandparents were Ernest Jacobs and Hilda Frier. They married in 1911 at Rodmersham. Between 1911 and 1917 five children were born to them, all registered in Milton.

There is gap until 1920, which I assumed was due to the war, when the sixth child, Sidney, was born. However his birth was registered in Malling. As to why this is I currently do not know. After Sidney, another four children were born between 1922 and 1929. Their births were registered in Milton where the family remained.

I knew from stories in the family that some of the children had not survived infancy. I eventually found four of them had passed away, all buried next to one another in Sittingbourne cemetery.
Despite all the research I have carried out in the past, I have heard of no mention of an ‘Aunt Daisy’ in the family. So either this Daisy is unrelated or she died young.

However:
•   There are no suitable entries for this Daisy in the death registration index. Certainly there are no entries registered at the districts in Milton, Hollingbourne, or Malling which match.
•   There does not appear to be a suitable marriage for Daisy either in the marriage registration index, excluding the Daisy M Jacobs who married in 1933 in Surrey as this Daisy would have been 15.
•   There are no other Jacobs/Frier (including variants) marriages or births taking place around the 1911-1929 period.
•   With the exception of one child, none of Ernest and Hilda's children appear to have been baptised
•   There is no mention of anyone in the family emigrating around this time.

So who is this Daisy and what happened to her? Can anyone help me identify what happened to this individual?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Jacobs - A Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 February 15 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Probably getting the birth certificate will be the only way to be sure she had the same parents but

she could have married/died under her middle name "M" whatever that was or used Margaret for Daisy.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 February 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
There's a Miss D M Jacobs age 31 going to Australia in 1949 as a musician but without knowing what the D stood for  :-\

Address given for her 46 Evelyn Gardens London SW7.

Have you got any actual addresses for where the family were living?
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 February 15 14:58 GMT (UK) »
There are no other Jacobs/Frier (including variants) marriages or births taking place around the 1911-1929 period.

One more long shot but did Ernest have brothers and Hilda sisters who may have married (or not) and had a child?

I did say l o n g shot  :D
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 February 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon

Any addresses the family lived at, with the exception to where Sidney was born, were in Milton Regis/Sittingbourne. All BMD events, with the exception of one wedding that took place in Surrey, were also in Milton Regis/Sittingbourne.

None of Ernest and Hilda's siblings married into the same family. They are the only Jacobs/Frier combination in the registration index for that period of time. The other siblings I believe were all married by 1918

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 06:46 GMT (UK) »
If you check the original register details for Sidney Jacobs  " Malling  1920  2A 1489." You will see that  he doesnt fit in with the rest  due to the fact his mothers maiden name was PRIER not Frier as incorrectly transcribed to Free BMD.
                                                      Good Luck . :)
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Birth Date couple of years out ,Could be worth a check! She may not have had a birth cert and gave what she thought were her birth details when she applied for old age pension.  :)

First name(s)   DAISY MARY E
Last name   JACOBS
Gender   Female
Birth day   16
Birth month   2
Birth year   1920
Age   -
Death quarter   4
Death year   1993
District   WESTON-SUPER-MARE
District number   3072B
Register number   BB3C
Entry number   124
Date of registration mm/yy   1193
County   Somerset
Country   England
Record set   England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Morning

Thanks for pointing out the Daisy who died in 1993, although the location is more out of place than the date of birth.

I will have to get the birth certificate for this Daisy to confirm if she belongs to my family. If it turns out that she is, it raises an number of questions as to why there is no mention of her. Going by her middle name might be the cause of the confusion.

As for Sidney's birth, he definitely belongs to the family as he is one of the four children who are buried in Sittingbourne Cemetery. I took the details from the registration index books when they were available to the public at the Family Record Centre over 10 years ago. The scan on FreeBMD is not of great quality and I can see the confusion between certain characters and letters i.e. F & P, 3 & 8

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon

I have received the birth certificate and can confirm Daisy May Jacobs born 1918 at Ulcombe, Kent is another daughter of Ernest and Hilda Jacobs.

Given previous problems looking under Daisy, I searched for suitable marriage and death entries in the registration indexes using her middle name instead. Again nothing seems to match up.

Her brother Sidney was born at East Peckham in 1920. I have checked the KFHS transcripts for both churchs there but there is no record of any Jacobs being baptised/buried.

Excluding the possibility that Daisy did survive to adulthood and emmigrated, what other avenues can I investigate? What if she was disabled and her parents gave her up for adoption? Would there be anyway to trace her via those records if they survived?